Ephs medal in every event at NIRC

May 10, 2016 by Molly Burroughs, Contributing Writer

The 1V eight boat took first place in its morning heat, leading by six seconds over Wellesley. Photo courtesy of John Strawn.

Women’s crew ended its regular season with a commanding performance at the National Invitational Rowing Championship (NIRC), placing every boat on the medals podium and coming home with the overall team title. The team also won the combined men’s and women’s title.

“I’m very proud of the entire team’s performance this past weekend,” co-captain Sophia Jannetty ’16 said. “Every single crew handled the last minute racing schedule changes, wild winds and the multitudes of other variables with grace and raced excellently. I’m extremely proud to have won both the women’s and overall points trophy.”

Forecasts of foul weather altered the schedule for the weekend, but fortunately all boats were able to compete as planned. The Ephs entered three eights and a four and took first in two of the events.

The first race of the morning was the 1V eight, who won their heat with a six-second lead over second-place Wellesley. The Ephs continued to find speed in their afternoon race, taking first place again and earning an automatic qualifying spot to the NCAA Championships. The 1V finished the Grand Final in a time of 7:19.18, ahead of second-place Bates and third-place Wesleyan.

The second event of the day was the 2V eight, which also took first place in its heat with an eight-second lead over Wesleyan. They faced stiffer competition in the afternoon, placing third behind Wellesley and Bates.

Next off the line was the Williams 3V, who also won their morning heat with an 18-second lead over Wesleyan. Williams reprised this performance in the afternoon, taking first in the Grand Final with a time of 7:21.28, two seconds ahead of second-place Bates and 13 seconds ahead of third-place Wesleyan.

The final event of the day was the open four, who also had a dominant performance in the morning heats, placing first with a 34 second lead over Mount Holyoke. The novice four had a strong performance in the Grand Final, placing second in a time of 8:13.49, nine seconds behind first place Ithaca.

The team last competed at the New England Rowing Championship on April 30 where all boats medaled: the 3V placed first, the Novice 4 placed second and the 1V and 2V finished third.

“We had a very successful weekend at the NIRCs, where everyone on the team earned a medal,” Head Coach Kate Maloney said. “Putting everyone on the medal stand was a testament to the hard work these women have put forth since September. I am very proud of these women and look forward to their continued focus over the next two and a half weeks.”

Last weekend’s regatta concludes the Ephs’ regular season, but the 1V and 2V will compete at NCAA Championships beginning on May 27.

After the NCAA Championships, the team will graduate several seniors, all of whom have made major contributions to the continuing growth and success of the program. This year’s graduating class includes co-captains Sophia Janetty ’16 and Anne Tewksbury ’16, Katie Costantini ’16, Merritt Harlan ’16 and Bety Lopez ’16.