Women’s tennis triumphs 9-0, 7-2

May 4, 2016 by John Toomey, Staff Writer

Women’s tennis (16-3, 6-1 in the NESCAC) ended their season on a high note with a two-match sweep of Babson and Tufts last Saturday. The Ephs blanked the Beavers 9-0 before defeating the Jumbos 7-2.

These were the last two matches of the women’s regular season. Babson was coming off a 7-2 loss to Brandeis, while  No. 17 Tufts was riding an upset victory over No. 6 Bowdoin. Bowdoin is responsible for the one in-conference loss that the women have suffered this season.

“Saturday was a great day for us,” captain Maya Hart ’16 said. “We showed a huge improvement from the previous weekend and were able to implement our game styles from the start of both singles and doubles. Tufts was an especially exciting win because they had just beaten Bowdoin, who we lost to the weekend before. NESCACs start this weekend at Bates and as a team we are looking forward to an exciting post-season where we expect to be pushed by many talented teams.”

On Saturday, doubles got things started against Babson with a 3-0 sweep. Alex Stone ’16 and Mia Gancayco ’18 finished first, securing the win, 8-3. Juli Raventos ’18 and Linda Shin ’17 finished the sweep with a win of their own, 8-4.

The Ephs took the momentum into singles, going up 6-0 with three straight-sets victories. Giulia McDonnell Nieto del Rio ’18 got things started with a 6-0, 6-2 win over Babson’s Chloe Brandt. Leah Bush ’19, Stone, Korina Neveux ’19 and Hannah Atkinson ’17 all followed with wins in two sets. The last match to finish in the meet was a battle between Gancayco and sophomore Yagmur Akgul. Gancayco eventually came out on top 7-6(3), 7-5.

Later in the day, in the women’s second match, doubles went undefeated once again, this time against Tufts. Julia Cancio ’18 and Atkinson finished first, dispatching their opponents 8-2. Teams of Raventos and Shin as well as Hart and McDonnel Nieto del Rio followed with wins.

Cancio followed up her win in doubles with a singles victory before Tufts battled back to earn their first win of the day. Jumbo Mina Karamercan overcame Gancayco to bring the overall score to 4-1. The next match to finish, however, was Shin’s 6-3, 6-0 victory to clinch the match victory for Williams. Raventos and Bush won their respective matches while Atkinson was defeated in hers to bring the final score to 7-2.

“The team’s energy and focus this weekend was notable,” Head Coach Alison Swain ’01 said. “It’s exciting to finish out the regular season on such a high note, and showing so much improvement since we first started our season back in February.”

“I know the team is excited for the post-season. From here on out, we will focus on one match at a time and put everything we have as a team into that competitive opportunity, starting with the NESCAC semifinals on Saturday.”

These wins come after the team swept Bates last weekend with a 9-0 victory. The women have only let up one conference game – to archrival Amherst –and only counts two other losses against Georgia Gwinnett and Emory for this spring season. In the fall, Williams was able to capture a 9-0 win against Amherst, so any further meeting between the two teams in post-season competitions will mark their third contest of the year.

The NESCAC Championships will be hosted by Bates this year and will begin on Friday. Following NESCACs, the team heads to NCAA Regionals on May 13.