Men’s crew rows to podium finishes

May 4, 2016 by Logan Jester, Team Correspondent

Men’s crew left the Purple Valley last Friday, a day before racing at the New England Rowing Championship, to go for a brief swing row to get their legs going. After a restful night of sleep, the men arrived on site at Lake Quinsigamond, ready to begin their races. The New England Rowing Championship is a traditional heats-to-finals style progression. In the 1V category, the top two boats from each heat move on to the final; in the 2V category, the top three finishers from each heat move on to the final and in the 3V category, the top three finishers move on.

In the heats, the 1V was well into the mix off the line. Relying on their fitness and skill, the men stepped through the field to cross the line just after cracking open water on Boston College. The 1V won its heat with a time of 6:00.523, with Boston College following just a couple of seconds behind with a time of 6:04.526.

In the final, the Williams 1V fought throughout, demonstrating their consistent quality of resilience. The WPI 1V got off the line with an incredible start, but towards the end, fell behind Bates and Williams. The Ephs 1V finished second with a time of 6:10.303 behind Bates, who finished in 6:07.879 and just edged out WPI, who finished about .15 of a second behind Williams.

The 2V won its heat with a time of 6:09.521, followed by the Bates and Trinity boats, which both crossed the line in about 6:12. In the final, the Williams 2V went on to win the final, finishing in 6:16.357, with the Wesleyan 2V finishing in 6:16.603 and the Trinity 2V in 6:22.119. This is the fourth year in a row the Williams 2V has won the championship.

The 3Vs had a solid performance, with a rapid start off the line to place second in their heat, assuredly moving to the final with a time of 6:24.531 behind the Wesleyan 3V and ahead of the Trinity 3V, who crossed the line in 6:20.555 and 6:31.691, respectively. The Wesleyan 3V took first in the final with a time of 6:28.145, while the Williams 3V was just edged out by Trinity for second. Williams finished in a time of 6:36.304.

Last weekend, the men’s first and second varsity crews arrived at Lake Carnegie excited to race. These two crews of men are the first two to have the opportunity to race consistently well-ranked Div. I crews; in this race, the Ephs lined up against George Washington, Georgetown and Rutgers.

The 2V men started off the day’s events with a strong start off the line, holding with the opponents’ boats for the first 500 meters of the race.

The crew had a decent middle 1000 meters of the race, trading strokes with the Rutgers 2V. Their moves were strong, but not quite enough to make Rutgers lose their lead. At the line, the George Washington and Georgetown crews crossed first, with Williams falling in behind Rutgers, maintaining the margin they had held for the last 400 meters of the race. The George Washington 2V finished with a time of 6:25.9 with Georgetown about one second behind. Rutgers came in third with a time of 6:51.3 and Williams finished less than two seconds behind.

“For the team, the New England rowing championship was a success. Our 1V had a standout perfrormance in the heat, and showed their resilience in the final, placing second. Our second varsity won for the fourth year in a row, pulling into the lead in the last two strokes of the race. And our 3V made up a lot of ground on a crew they saw just two weeks ago, placing third in the grand final. Looking into the future, we plan on continuing to practice the execution of our race plans for the National Invitational Rowing Championship this weekend, and putting all the pieces together to have our best performances of the season,” Jester said.

Men’s crew will return to Lake Quinsigamond next week for their last race of the season on Saturday, the National Invitational Rowing Championships.