Ephs win first two against Continentals

May 4, 2016 by Eric Hirsch, Staff Writer

Nate Michalski ’17 went 1 for 7 in games one and two against the Continentals last weekend. Photo courtesy of Sports Information.

Baseball (12-18, 6-6 in the NESCAC) won its first game against Hamilton on Saturday 6-4 and continued to split games on Sunday, winning 3-0 and then falling 8-1. The men needed to win all three games in order to secure a spot in the NESCAC playoff tournament.

In game one, Hamilton came out strong, scoring a run in the first inning off a leadoff double by Ryan Wolfsberg to center field and a ground ball single into right by Brett Mele. But the Ephs struck back in the bottom half of the inning. Doug Schaffer ’18 led off with a single and scored when Jack Cloud ’17 tripled to left center field. Cloud himself scored when the Continentals mishandled the relay back into the infield, putting the Ephs up 2-1.

Cloud gave Williams a two-run lead in the third inning when he scored off a sacrifice fly by Kellen Hatheway ’19. Cloud doubled to open the inning and was bunted to third by David Rosas ’16.

The Continentals tied the game at three in the top of the fourth when they plated two runs on two hits and an Eph error.

Williams again established a two-run lead in the fifth inning when Rosas worked a one-out walk and advanced to second on an infield single by Hatheway. Rosas and Hatheway scored when Adam Regensburg ’18 slug a double down the left field line to put Williams up 5-3 after five innings.

Williams tallied the final run of the contest in the bottom of the sixth after Adam Dulsky ’18 led off with a triple to center field and Alex Panstares ’19 plated him with a sacrifice fly.

Luke Rodino ’17 earned the win for the Ephs, pitching seven innings, giving up four runs and striking out nine.

On day two, Williams took the first game 3-0, keeping the possibility of playoffs in sight. The men started out strong, scoring in the very first inning. Regensburg came up to the plate with one out and the bases loaded with Cloud, Rosas and Hatheway on first, second and third. Regensburg roped a liner to left center field, sending Cloud and Rosas home to put the Ephs on the board. Nate Michalski ’17 then followed this up with another RBI single to extend Williams’s lead to 3-0, which would be the game’s final score.

Regensburg led the Eph offense in game one, going 2 for 3 with two RBIs. Tyler Duff ’17 pitched an impressive seven innings, only giving up one hit and striking out six to earn the win. His performance last weekend earned NESCAC Pitcher of the Week.

In game two of the day, the final game of the series, Hamilton took an early lead, scoring four runs in the first inning. Hamilton then went on a 4-0 run over the next seven innings to extend their lead to 8-0.

The Ephs were able to get on the board in the bottom of the ninth inning with an RBI double from Panstares. However, that was all that the Williams offense could muster. Hamilton took game two, 8-1.

“I was very proud of the way we battled all weekend,” Head Coach Bill Barrale said. “Rodino and Duff gave us outstanding performances on the mound in games one and two, and Tom Benz [’19] was outstanding coming out of the bull pen.”

The team faced MCLA yesterday but the result was unavailable before the paper went to press. Williams next faces competition on Saturday when they travel to Maine to play Bates at noon.