Ephs fall to Bantams in NESCAC tourney

May 4, 2016 by Ryan Farley

Kat Fearey ’18 caused two Trinity turnovers in last Saturday’s 18-4 loss in the NESCAC quarters. Photo courtesy of Sports Information.

Women’s lacrosse (5-11, 2-8 in the NESCAC) fell to first-seeded Trinity 18-4 in last Saturday’s NESCAC Quarterfinal matchup.

The Ephs started out strong against the Bantams, playing to  a 3-3 tie within the first 14 minutes. Impressive goals were scored for Williams by Alyssa Maddalone ’16,  co-captain Anne Rehfuss ’16 and Jenna Chodos ’17.

Trinity began to pull away in the remainder of the first half, scoring several goals in the last 12 minutes. However, the Ephs put up a good fight, constantly running the ball on attack and defense. Kat Fearey ’18 counted several turnovers to wrest the ball back for the Ephs, allowing the team to continue its offensive attack before halftime.

In the second portion of the game, it was Trinity that came out strong. The Bantams scored seven goals in the first 18 minutes of this half, bringing the score to 15-3 in their favor. Williams never gave up, constantly pushing and challenging the Trinity defense before breaking in with a free position shot by Maddalone at 15:28 into the second half. The Ephs continued to battle, but nonetheless, when the buzzer sounded, the final score was 18-4.

Maddalone led the team with two goals. Rehfuss and Chodos each added one. Goalkeeper Margaret Draper ’17 played the first 41 minutes in the goal and made nine saves.

Last Wednesday, Williams lost 10-9 in overtime to Middlebury. Emma TenBarge ’19 tied up the score at nine all with a free position goal scored with 45 seconds remaining in the game.

The Williams defense held its own to send the game into overtime. Three minutes of sudden death began with a TenBarge draw control to give the Ephs the first offensive chance. However, a quick turnover gave Middlebury a shot to win the game. On a huge play, Rehfuss regained possession for the Ephs, who then made a final push to secure the golden goal. Middlebury fought hard to force a turnover. Each team had two possessions during the three-minute period of overtime, with Middlebury ultimately prevailing when Bridget Instrum scored with 1:09 remaining.

The team’s name was pulled out of a hat that also contained the names of Bowdoin and Wesleyan, which allowed the team the chance to play as the eighth seed in the NESCAC tournament, a great opportunity.

“We started off well versus Trinity but in the second part of the first half Trinity got their rhythm and were playing great. We played hard through the end of the game but it wasn’t enough to beat Trinity when they are on fire. Disappointing, but there are days like that in sports and I’m proud of how hard the team worked this year. We will miss our seniors so much,” Head Coach Christine Mason said.

The Ephs have made the NESCAC tournament for the past three out of four seasons, having advanced to the NCAA Sweet Sixteen in 2014. The team graduates Rehfuss, Maddalone, co-captain Natalie Gill ’16, co-captain Molly Belk ’16 and co-captain Micaela Dussel ’16.