Ephs earn NESCAC Championship title

May 4, 2016 by Kate Kennedy

The women’s track and field team won the NESCAC championship last Saturday, earning the title for the third year running. With 165 points, Williams beat out Middlebury, who finished in second with 140 points, and Tufts, who posted a third-place finish with 123 points. The Williams victory was undeniably a team effort, with athletes scoring points across the board in all their events to culminate in the victory. The Ephs have now won 15 of the last 16 NESCAC championships and own a conference-best 23 titles overall.

The women finished in first in two events. Helene Hall ’18 won the high jump with a jump of 1.68 meters, and Anna Harleen ’18 won the 1500 meter with a time of 4:29.73. Harleen was followed by Victoria Kingham ’18, who ran the race in a time of 4:36.37 for fifth place.

The Ephs had a strong presence in the sprinting events as well. Denver Williams ’19 earned third place in the 400 meter with a time of 57.39 seconds and second place in the 200 meter, running the race in 25.47. Kennedy Green ’19 finished the 100 meter in 12.44 seconds for a fourth-place finish, followed by co-captain Grace Weatherall ’16, who completed the event in 12.54 to place sixth. Weatherall also placed in the 100-meter hurdles, running a time of 14.85. Finally, Kayley McGonagle ’18 finished the 400-meter hurdles in a time of 64.51 seconds for a second-place finish. The 4×100 meter team, consisting of Williams, Weatherall, Green and co-captain Kelsey Adamson ’16, also had a strong showing, placing fourth with a time of 48.51.

In the distance events, Williams continued to dominate. Yvonne Bungei ’17 ran the 800 meter in a time of 2:14.54 to earn a seventh place finish. In the 5K, Emily Sundquist ’18  ran 17:24.37 for a second place finish, followed by co-captain Lacey Serletti ’16 in third with a time of 17:25.28 and Kingham in fifth with 17:26.73.

In the longest event of the day, the 10K, Emma Zehner ’17 finished in fourth with a time of 37:45.60, and Emily Shea ’16 finished in sixth with a time of 37:55.55. The 4×800 relay team rounded off the distance events, as Stella Worters ’18, Elowyn Pfeiffer ’18, Bungei and Harleen collectively ran the race in 9:21.52 for second place.

The Ephs also excelled in the jumps. Chloe Rogers ’17 earned second place in the triple jump with a jump of 11.71 meters. Candice Dyce ’17, also scored in this event, jumping 11.49 meters for fourth place. Williams also had two scorers in the pole vault. Katie Loftus ’19 vaulted 3.05 meters, finishing in fifth, followed by Stephanie Boulger ’18, who also vaulted 3.05 meters and finished in sixth. Weatherall also contributed to the jumping squad’s success with a long jump of 5.38 meters, putting her in fourth.

The throwing events rounded out a successful day. Alejandra Moran ’17 threw the discus 36.53 meters, to earn fifth in the event, and threw the hammer 38.79 meters for an eighth place finish. Phacelia Cramer ’19 finished in seventh in the javelin with a throw of 35.48m.

“I am incredibly proud of this team,” Head Coach Nate Hoey said.  “We had some outstanding performances and we also faced some adversity throughout the day.  However, the team kept bouncing back and kept supporting each other all the way to the end.”

Overall, it was an incredibly exciting day for the women, as the entire team came together to contribute to this huge win. The team will next compete this weekend in the Div. III New England Championships in Springfield, Mass.