APPROVAL RATINGS – SPRING ’16

May 4, 2016 by Neena Patel, News Editor

The Record conducted its biannual approval poll of campus institutions via email last week. One approval rating increased since the previous poll conducted last fall. This was in the approval rating of College Council (CC), which increased from 39 percent to 64 percent. The approval ratings of several campus institutions decreased. The approval rating of the entry system went from 88 percent to 71 percent, making it the largest change. The approval rating of the Health Center decreased by 15 percent, going from 87 percent to 72 percent. The approval ratings of Campus Safety and Security and the neighborhood system both decreased by 14 percent. The approval rating of the CC presidency moved from 86 percent to 74 percent. Among the other institutions that had a decrease in approval rating were Dean of the College Sarah Bolton, the College itself, Dining Services, the Registrar, the Office of Information Technology (OIT), the Career Center, Study Away, Financial Aid, the Honor Committee and All Campus Entertainment (ACE). Other increases or decreases in approval rating were within the margin of error of the poll.

The poll asked respondents to “check whether [they] approve or disapprove of the job each person/organization is doing.” Respondents had a choice of approval, disapproval or no opinion. The approval ratings to the right compare the ratio of approval votes to total approval and disapproval votes.

The Record sent out the poll via email at 11 p.m. last Wednesday to 500 students randomly selected from the 2178 listed in the first-year facebooks for the classes of 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019. When the poll was closed at 9 a.m. on Tuesday, 192 students, or 38 percent of those it was sent to, had responded, giving the poll a margin of error of 6.76 percent, for a 95 percent level of confidence.

The class breakdown of the poll was relatively even, with 45 voters from the class of 2019, 49 from 2018, 50 from 2017 and 49 from 2016.

The gender breakdown of the poll was as follows: 95 voters listed themselves as male, 95 voters listed themselves as female and one voter listed themself as other.