Women’s tennis splits road matches against rivals Bowdoin and Bates

April 27, 2016 by John Toomey, Staff Writer

Linda Shin ’17 suffered a tough 6-4, 7-6(6) loss in singles against league rival Bowdoin. Photo courtesy of Sports Information.

Looking to bounce back from a 6-3 loss to Bowdoin on Saturday, women’s tennis (14-3, 5-1 in the NESCAC) faced Bates on Sunday, sweeping them in doubles and singles on the way to a 9-0 victory.

Before Williams handed Bates their 13th loss of the year, Bates came into the day 4-12 overall and 1-5 in conference.

Doubles saw the Ephs out to a 3-0 lead when teams of Julia Cancio ’18 and Hannah Atkinson ’17, captain Maya Hart ’16 and Giulia McDonnell Nieto del Rio ’18 and Mia Gancayco ’18 and Alex Stone ’16 overcame their opponents. Hart and McDonnell Nieto del Rio finished first, blanking their opponents 8-0.

Leah Bush ’19 started things well when she defeated her Bobcat opponent 6-1, 6-2. Stone, McDonnel Nieto del Rio and Gancayco followed with wins of their own in two sets each. Juli Raventos ’18 secured victory by the score of 6-2, 6-2 to bring the score to 8-0. Atkinson followed with a win, finishing the sweep of the day.

At Bowdoin, Williams took a 6-3 loss – the first loss to Bowdoin in 29 matches, dating back to 1994-95 when the series began.

In doubles, the Polar Bears mounted comebacks in all three matches for the sweep and the 3-0 lead. Eph team Cancio and Atkinson started the day, losing to Bowdoin’s Kyra Silitch and Tess Trinka, also a sophomore-junior pair, by a score of 8-5. Raventos and Shin, as well as Hart and McDonnel Nieto del Rio also lost in close matches, 8-6 and 9-7, respectively.

Williams battled back in singles, starting with Atkinson. After losing the first set 6-4, she won the next two 6-2, 6-3. Bowdoin followed with a victory over Bush to get within one win of determination. Gancayco and Cancio, after losing first sets in both of their matches, managed to win the next two sets and secure victories to bring the score on the day to 4-3. Bowdoin sealed the win with a victory over Shin, 6-4, 7-6(6), a tight match which needed a long second-set tiebreak to settle the outcome. Raventos fell in her singles match to bring the final score to 6-3 in favor of the home side.

“We had a tough match against Bowdoin this weekend,” Hart said. “They showed great composure and an impressive ability to adjust to what we were doing well, especially in doubles. They have been a solid team in the past and we knew to expect an extremely tough match. Although it was a disappointing loss, we look forward to hopefully having the chance to play them again this season. Playing Bates the following day presented a great opportunity to bounce back and display our strengths, which we did well.Moving forward, we are focusing on having more consistent energy throughout the duration of the match and also implementing our game plan from the start of every individual match.”

“Anytime we have a loss, it shows us where we can improve as a team,” Head Coach Allison Swain ’01 said. “I think that showing our perserverance and dedication to improving how we compete will be the focus in the weeks ahead. Bates was a great rebound from the Bowdoin match for us.”

The Ephs have just two matches left prior to the NESCAC Championships beginning on May 6 at Bates. On April 30, the team  will square off against Babson and Tufts away. Action against Babson will begin at 11:00 a.m., and the match against Tufts begins at 4 p.m.