Women’s golf tops field at Taconic

April 27, 2016 by Sarah Hasselman, Team Correspondent

Women’s golf rallied after a tough first day at the Williams Spring Invitational last weekend to shoot 318 and capture first place at the event. They earned a two-day total of 639 and won by 14 strokes over Amherst’s 653. Middlebury placed third place with a 660. League rival Hamilton came in a distant fourth place, shooting a combined two-day total of 765.

Cordelia Chan ’19 came back after shooting 83 on day one to shoot a 75 on the second day. Chan moved  up nine spots on the second day of competition  to share the individual win with Liz Gudas ’18, who complimented her day-one round of 78 with an 80 on Sunday, holding the lead for the duration of the competition. The two solid rounds from Gudas helped the team acquire the lead on the first day of competiion despite tough conditions and keep the lead on the second day when rival teams were nipping on their heels. In the Invitational, the women showed the depth of their lineup, as teammates performed well up and down the scoreboard to help clinch the victory for the team.

Supporting Chan and Gudas were Tracey Kim ’17, who shot 80, Phoebe Mattana ’18, who shot 83, and Sophie Kitchen ’17, who shot 83 on the second day. Kim finished sixth with a two-day total of 161, which was essential in the team’s first-place finish.  Mattana finished eighth with a two-day total of 163 and Kitchen was ninth with a two-day total of 165. Kitchen posted nine-hole splits of 46-36 and 47-36 for the two days, both days coming back from the tough opening holes to flirt with even par on the back nine.

Maddy Abrahams ’18 matched her first day score of 83 to finish tied for tenth overall and first among the individual competitors. Isabella Wang ’19 improved her score from the first day of competition by three strokes to shoot 83, giving her a two-day of 169, to move up four spots to thirteenth place. Captain Kelly Kung ’16 shot 90 for a two-day total of 175, finishing tied for 18th. Kung dropped two places on the final day of competition, sliding from 16th to 18th, but contributed important points to the team effort.

The Williams Spring Invitational marked the Ephs’ last regular season tournament of the spring season. On the first day of the Invitational, Williams topped Middlebury with 321 strokes over Middlebury’s 322. Winds at a high of 20 miles per hour coupled with tough pin placements made day one tough. However, the team made the most out of the conditions and positioned themselves for a strong final-round finish on Sunday. The scoring conditions on the final day were much more favorable, and the Ephs took advantage of the conditions to seal the tournament victory.

“We excelled on Sunday, improved our team score significantly, but most importantly, everyone showcased strong mental game and kept a both confident and positive attitude towards our games. Since this was my last golf tournament, all I could ask for was for my team to work together, excel under pressure and achieve what we deserve; the girls did just that,” Kung said.

“I was very proud by the way our team played this past weekend. The Taconic Golf Course was very challenging in cold and windy conditions, but our team competed well both days,” Head Coach Bill Kangas said.

The team will be training hard this week with the hope of earning an NCAA bid which will be announced on Monday, May 2. The Ephs await an at-large bid to nationals, which will be released the morning of May 2. NCAA National Championships will take place May 10 to May 13 in Houston, at the Bay Oaks Country Club, Wildcat Golf Club and Memorial Park Golf Course. If the team qualifies, tee-off times will be at 9 a.m.