Women fall 10-9 to Amherst in OT thriller

April 27, 2016 by Ryan Farley

Co-captain Molly Belk ’16 caused two Amherst turnovers in last Saturday’s overtime thriller.

Women’s lacrosse (5-9, 2-7 in the NESCAC) bounced back from a close loss in overtime to Amherst 10-9 last Saturday to defeat Western New England on Sunday with a final score of 18-4.

The Ephs were able to solidify their victory because of a strong second half in which they outscored the Golden Bears  9-1.

The first half jumped out to an early 1-0 lead for Western New England when Ashley Brunner scored on an unassisted play to give her team what would be their only lead of the game. The Ephs responded less than a minute later when Jenna Chodos ’17 converted on a free position shot.

The next ten minutes of play were scoreless and consisted of many shots from several Ephs. Finally, at 15:41, Emma Tenbarge ’19 took advantage of a free position attempt to give Williams its first lead of the game at 2-1.

After a timeout for Western New England, Williams won the draw control and quickly converted another offensive effort when co-captain Micaela Dussel ’16 fed to Katie Gallop ’17. The Ephs then rattled off five consecutive points including back-to-back goals from Kailie Saudek ’19. Williams took an 8-3 lead with three minutes remaining in the first half. Each team scored once more, including another goal from Tenbarge assisted by Brett Bidstrup ’17. The game entered halftime with a score of 9-3, Williams.

The second half displayed an eight-goal run with eight different Ephs scoring including Chodos, Saudek, Tenbarge, co-captain Natalie Gill ’16, co-captain Anne Rehfuss ’16, Mairead Toms ’17, Olivia Polk ’18 and Eliza Quigley ’19.

With 13 minutes to play, the Ephs had earned a 17-3 lead. With 40 seconds to play, Rehfuss found the back of the net after a feed from Suzanna Penikis ’19, securing the 18-4 victory for the Ephs.

Tenbarge led for Williams with four goals against Amherst. Rehfuss contributed three points with two goals and one assist, and Saudek and Chodos had three goals apiece.

This victory followed a tight game against archrival Amherst on the women’s Senior Day at home.

Although Dussel scored a go-ahead goal with 21 seconds remaining in regulation to give Williams a 9-8 lead, Amherst tied the game at 9-9 to send the game into overtime.

In overtime, the Ephs won their first draw control, but Tenbarge failed to convert on a free-position attempt, and Amherst won possession. The first three minute period of overtime remained scoreless. With 1:10 left in the second overtime period, Amherst’s Mia Haughton found the back of the net for the game winner.

In the game against Amherst, Williams was led by Rehfuss with three points consisting of one goal and two assists. Tenbarge and Gallop followed Rehfuss with two goals apiece.

“We were very happy with how we played in both games this weekend,” Head Coach Chris Mason said. “It was obviously very sad to not be able to have the thrill of the victory against Amherst, but unfortunately a tough call with 20 seconds to go gave Amherst the ball and then they tied it up.”

Coming off the strong win against Western New England, the team looks forward to playing at Middlebury today for the last game of the regular season. The game starts at 5:30 p.m.