Men’s lacrosse falls 11-8 to rival Amherst

April 27, 2016 by Patrick Gerald

Conor Roddy ’16 scored two goals and earned one assist in the game against Amherst last Saturday. Photo courtesy of Sports Information.

Men’s lacrosse (8-6, 4-5 in the NESCAC) fell 11-8 to Amherst last Saturday, unable to overcome a large second-half deficit.

Conor Roddy ’16 opened the second half by scoring an unassisted goal at 13:43 in the third quarter, moving Williams to within one goal of Amherst, 6-5. However, the home team responded to Roddy’s goal with two goals in 1:40 and four overall unanswered goals to establish a 10-5 lead after three quarters.

At 13:09, Charlie Gill scored the first of the four straight scores with Quinn Maroney assisting. Gill then assisted Michael Litner on a goal at 12:03 that gave Amherst its first 3-goal lead of the day, 8-5. At 4:43 in the third quarter Amherst’s Rob Burke received a call for slashing, which gave Williams a man-up opportunity for one minute, which eventually prompted Williams to take a lone shot that was saved by Amherst goalie Thomas Gilligan.

Moments after returning to full strength, Amherst upped their lead to four, 9-5, when Maroney assisted on an Evan Wolfe tally. With just 52 seconds left in the third quarter, Andrew Ford capitalized on an unassisted goal which extended the Amherst lead to five, 10-5.

Amherst outshot the visitors 13-4 in the pivotal third quarter, and the team gave away possession with nine turnovers in the quarter.

Williams netted the first goal of the final quarter at 9:02 when Bryson Gilbert-Bono ’16 fired over the right shoulder of Gilligan from eight yards out on Gilligan’s right to close the gap between the two teams to four.

Winning the next faceoff, the Ephs netted a second straight goal when Michael Fahey ’17 scored an unassisted goal at 8:04, making the score 10-7 Amherst. In the man-up situation off a delay of game infraction called on Amherst, Duncan Cummings ’17 capitalized at 3:09 and beat Gilligan going right to left across the face of the goal. Cummings scored on a high shot, slicing the deficit to two, 10-8.

With just under three minutes left, Amherst lost possession for having too many men on the field, and Williams took over. However, a costly turnover with two minutes left returned the ball back to the Ephs. Amherst eschewed the delay on offense and Maroney set up Kane Haffey for a shot in close on McCarthy that he converted at 1:31 to make the score 11-8 in Amherst’s favor.

Amherst won the faceoff after the Haffey goal and went into a deliberate offensive mode and maintained possession for the final 1:31 to seal the win.

Williams never led in the contest, but did tie the game at two-all and three-all. Amherst scored the first two goals of the game only to have Williams respond with two in a row to tie the game at two. Amherst took a 3-2 lead at the end of the quarter when Killian scored off a feed from Connor Crump with just 11 seconds left in the period. The Ephs tied the contest at three-all when co-captain Peter Crane ’16 netted an unassisted goal at 11:53 in the second quarter.

Amherst regained the lead at 4-3 when Ford scored an unassisted goal at 7:09. On the Ford goal, Gilbert-Bono was sent off for slashing and Amherst had a man-up opportunity for 60 seconds. Williams was able to hold Amherst off for a while, but eventually Amherst scored at 5:09 in a full strength situation when Haffey scored from 10 yards out on the right side of Williams goalie Miles McCarthy ’16.

The first half ended with Amherst in the lead 6-4. Both teams fired 14 shots on goal and Amherst’s Gilligan made 10 saves, while the McCarthy stopped eight Amherst shots. Williams was led on offense by Roddy and Fahey who each tallied two goals. Fowler led in assists for Williams with two in the game.

“Our team is excited to have qualified for the NESCAC playoffs,” Head Coach George McCormack said. “We look forward to capping off our regular season versus Middlebury this week and retaining the Thomsen Trophy.”

The team will close out the regular season with a road contest at Middlebury today at 4:30 p.m.