Dudley and Puddester announce College will cover Senior Week cost

April 27, 2016 by Neena Patel, News Editor

This year, for the first time, the College will cover Senior Week fees. In the past, members of the graduating class have paid for the celebrations, though last year the cost was reduced through a collaboration with College Council (CC) and the Office of Student Life (OSL) [“College to reduce cost of Senior Week,” April 22, 2015]. Senior Week takes place the week before Commencement and is a tradition and time for the graduating class to relax, spend time together and enjoy their last days on campus.

Senior Week includes four days filled with various activities including, but not limited to, hikes, a dinner dance at Mt. Hope, an entry reunion barbecue and a tent party and culminates in the Last Chance Dance.

“Full ticket prices last year were $140 per person, though many students paid less than that depending upon their financial aid status,” Ellen Rougeau, programming coordinator for the OSL, said. There was also a cash bar available for beer and wine at several of the events. “The program’s total costs moving forward, including beer and wine, are around $100,000.”

This year, Will Dudley ’89, provost of the College, Fred Puddester, the vice president of finance and administration and Steve Klass, the vice president for campus life, made the decision that Senior Week should be a College-sponsored send-off for the senior class. They decided that the College should cover the costs for the program every year. “They are covering the funds beyond what the class officers raised for this year, and in future years, there will be a budget through OSL,” Rougeau said. In the past, the program has been funded by ticket sales and various fundraisers put on by the seniors.

This year, Senior Week will begin on Tuesday, May 31, and continue through Friday, June 3, leading up to baccalaureate ceremonies on Saturday, June 4, and Commencement Exercises on Sunday, June 5.