Baseball drops series to Polar Bears

April 27, 2016 by Eric Hirsch, Staff Writer

Nate Michalski ’17 scored an important run in the Ephs failed comeback against the Polar Bears. Photo courtesy of Sports Information.

On Sunday, baseball (9-17, 4-5 in the NESCAC West) lost their final game of the series with Bowdoin, 4-3, completing a three-game sweep for the home side. The Ephs outhit Bowdoin 12-6 in the series finale but could not come out with the win despite the tight scoreline.

Williams took a 1-0 lead in the top of the third when David Rosas ’16 hit an RBI single down the left field line. However, Bowdoin responded in the bottom of the fourth, scoring four runs. Jack Bohen ’19 lasted four innings, giving up six hits, four runs, three earned and striking out two to take the loss in the series finale for the men.

The visitors attempted to close the gap, scoring two runs in the top of the sixth off a bunt by Alex Panstares ’19, followed by a throwing error by Bowdoin’s third baseman, which allowed Nathan Michalski ’17 to reach home. An RBI single from Jackson Parese ’17 brought the Ephs within a run at the end of the inning.

Neither team was able to score in the remaining innings and Bowdoin took the win to improve their record to 18-10. Richard Arms earned the win for Bowdoin, pitching five innings, giving up five hits, one run and striking out five. David Rosas ’16 went 1 for 4 with a run batted in and Jackson Parese ’17 went 2 for 3 with an RBI and led the offense for the Ephs in the contest.

On Saturday, the men dropped a pair of contests to Bowdoin, losing 2-0 in the first game and 4-3 in the second game.

In the first game, the Ephs’ offense struggled. Jack Cloud ’17 went 1 for 2 and Doug Schaffer ’18 went 2 for 3, but in the entire seven innings, Williams was unable to score.

Bowdoin also struggled to get on the board until the sixth inning, when they scored two runs off a wild pitch and an RBI single from Chad Martin.

Co-captain Luke Rodino ’17 took the loss in game one, pitching a complete game five-hitter, giving up two runs and striking out eight Polar Bears.

In game two, Williams took the early lead in the top of the third on a sacrifice fly by Beau Horan ’16, sending Adam Regensburg ’18 home.

Bowdoin responded in the bottom of the fourth with an RBI single to right field from Evan Dumont-LaPointe, who continued to carry the Bowdoin offense, hitting an RBI triple in the bottom of the sixth. Ejazz Jiu followed this up with an RBI double extending the lead to 3-1.

Williams was able to come back to send the game into extra innings in the bottom of the ninth off a two-run single from Horan, tying the game at 3-3. Unfortunately, Williams’s momentum was short lived, and in the tenth inning Bowdoin took the win off an RBI single to right center field from Joe Gentile.

Co-captain Arnie Capute ’16 took the loss for Williams in game two, pitching 1.1 innings, giving up three hits, one run and striking out one. Kyle Stanley earned the win for Bowdoin pitching one inning and striking out two.

“We lost three close games that could have went either way.  I thought our pitching was outstanding.  Offensively, we lacked execution in key moments, and Bowdoin capitalized on their opportunities,” Head Coach Bill Barrale said.

The team will play again today at home against RPI, with first pitch at 4 p.m.