Women’s tennis smokes Amherst

April 20, 2016 by John Toomey, Staff Writer

Women’s tennis secured a 6-3 triumph against archrival Amherst on Saturday, which followed a resounding 7-2 victory against non-conference foe MIT. In both matches, the Ephs showed resilience on the court, overcoming strong play from their opponents.

The Amherst win was the second victory of the year against the rival squad, as the women also defeated the team in the fall portion of the season. When the teams competed in October, Williams came out on top 9-0. The all-time series score is now 39-36 in favor of the Purple and White, although the Ephs have now won the last six match-ups.

Doubles finished 2-1 on the day, but the first match completed was an 8-2 defeat at the third doubles position. In that match, Mia Gancayo ’18 and captain Maya Hart ’16 fell to Amherst’s Avery Wagman and Rebecca Pol. At No. 1, Juli Raventos ’18 and Linda Shin ’17 battled for an 8-4 match win, while at No. 2, Julia Cancio ’18 and Hannah Atkinson ’17 finished the doubles competition with an 8-3 set.

Carrying an early lead into the singles competition, Leah Bush ’19 scored the first point for the women with a 6-3, 7-5 victory. Atkinson and Cancio followed with wins of their own to clinch the match. Although the outcome was deter-mined, Amherst fought back, as Vickie Ip overcame Gancayco 6-2, 7-6(6) and Shin fell to Jackie Calla. Raventos secured a singles victory at the No. 1 slot to bring the final score to 6-3.

The Ephs remained undefeated at home with a 7-2 win over MIT on Friday. In the last home match of the year, doubles went 2-1 and singles finished 5-1 to overcome their opponents.

Gancayo and Hart got the day started with an 8-4 win. Raventos and Shin  followed up with a win of their own by an 8-6 scoreline to take a 2-0 lead and put pressure on the opposition to close the deficit. MIT bounced back to within one point in the No. 2 doubles match as Dora Tzeng and Kelly Zhu defeated Cancio and Atkinson by the score of 8-6.

Bringing a 2-1 lead into singles, Shin got the first singles win at 6-0, 6-1. Bush, Korina Neveux ’19, and Atkinson followed up with victories of their own be-fore Gancayco fell to Tzeng, bringing the score to 6-2. Raventos finished off the day with a 6-4, 7-5 victory bringing the final score to 7-2 and remaining unde-feated on the weekend in singles play.

“Our team is very excited to take home the Little 3 title this year,” Head Coach Alison Swain ’01 said. “The team really played cohesively against Amherst to come out with the 6-3 victory, and I’m particularly impressed by Hannah, Leah, Julia and others for getting the early wins at four, five and six to clinch the match in the end.”

“We had great wins this weekend over MIT and Amherst. MIT pushed us and forced us to make a lot of adjustments. Amherst has a very deep line-up and challenged us across the board. We had great starts in doubles in particular and fought really well to come out on top after singles. We are looking forward to a weekend of conference matches in Maine,” Hart said.

The Ephs will have two away matches next weekend when they face Bow-doin on Saturday and Bates on Sunday. The NESCAC Championships, held at Bates this year, will begin on May 6.