Women stumble against Colby

April 20, 2016 by Ryan Farley

Emma Tenbarge ’19 scored an unassisted goal in a loss to conference rival Colby on Saturday. Photo courtesy of Sports Information.

Colby overcame women’s lacrosse (4-8, 2-6 in the NESCAC) by a score of 14-9 Saturday afternoon at Bill Alfond Field in Maine, pulling away in the second half with five unanswered goals.

“We felt we played a much better game this weekend vs Colby, in that we played with intensity and focus in both halves. We are still working to improve our ball handling skills for the last three games on the schedule,” Head Coach Christine Mason said.

The game featured multiple back and forth runs by both teams before Colby’s Kendall Smith scored the game-winning goal with 10:36 left in the second half. The Mules opened up the first half with three consecutive goals in the first five minutes of play, but the Ephs answered back and scored three goals in the next three minutes to even the score at 3-3, with incisive attacking play by co-captain Natalie Gill ’16 and Alyssa Maddalone ’16.

The Mules then responded with three more consecutive goals to make the score 6-3 in a span of just four minutes. However, the women fired back with yet another three goal run and the score was once again tied at six apiece. Lexie Perticone put the Mules up by one when she scored with just six seconds re-maining in the half, allowing the home team to bring a 7-6 lead into the locker-room at halftime.

The Ephs opened the second half strong when Emma Tenbarge ’19 scored unassisted at 27:58,  making the score 7-7. Colby scored two more to take a 9-7 lead but Williams responded quickly when Tenbarge scored her third goal of the game. Maddalone also chipped in on the offensive surge, scoring her third goal off of a free position attempt. Suzanna Penikis ’19 also chipped in on defense, forcing a turnover to spur the offensive attack agains the Mules.

With 17 minutes left to play and the scored tied at nine all, both teams fought with great intensity to take the lead. Colby ultimately prevailed when Perticone fed Smith for the go-ahead goal. The Mules then widened their lead to 14-9 in the last 10 minutes of play with goals from Smith, Perticone, Kelsey Bowen and Abby Hooper.

Maddalone and Tenbarge each posted thee goals for the Ephs while Gill added two and Jenna Chodos ’17 had one. Co-captain Micaela Dussel ’16 added three assists and co-captain Anne Rehfuss ’16 had one. Ana Alvarenga ’19 started in goal for Williams making five saves in 35 minutes and Margaret Draper ’17 contributed five more saves in the final 25 minutes.

Colby was led by Smith with four goals and two assists. Perticone had one goal and four assists, while Bowen and Hooper each had three goals. Izzy Scribano played all 60 minutes in goal for the Mules, making nine saves and helping to preserve the important conference win.

The conference loss against Colby followed a defeat to Hamilton by a 14-4 scoreline but featured an improved offensive performance against one of the top teams in the league.

“Last weekend was really close, we were going back and forth the whole time. We had a significant improvement from our last game. We had some small mistakes that lost possession for us, but we fought hard to get the ball back. We couldn’t capitalize because of the turnovers but everyone fought hard until the game,” co-captain Molly Belk said.

The women will next face archrival Amherst Saturday at 12 p.m. on Farley-Lamb field in an important conference matchup.