Men’s lacrosse downs conference opponent in 17-14 thriller at home

April 20, 2016 by Patrick Gerald

Thomas Fowler ’17 scored two goals in the contest against Colby at home last Saturday. Photo courtesy of Sports Information.

Men’s lacrosse (7-5, 4-4 in the NESCAC) triumphed over Colby 17-14 last Saturday at home.

In the first half, the two teams were tied six times, ultimately resulting in a tie at eight at the end of the half.

The Ephs tried to assert control of the contest at 13:05 in the second quarter when Bryson Gilbert-Bono ’16 put forth an unassisted tally with the Ephs a man down, giving the men a two-goal lead, 6-4. Colby, however, came back to tie the game at six on a goal by Sam Wasserman in a man-up opportunity and an unassisted goal by Colton Michel at 9:26.

Williams and Colby then traded goals with a man-up, unassisted goal by Thomas Fowler ’17 and a goal by Colby’s Austin Sayre. Williams went up one 8-7 on a goal by Michael Fahey ’17, but at 3:30, Michel scored again off a feed from Sayre, leaving the teams deadlocked at eight at the halftime break.

Williams took a 9-8 lead in third quarter when Fahey received a pass across the crease from Gilbert-Bono and beat the Colby goalie inside the near post at 13:07.

Chris McLaughlin ’18 netted an unassisted goal at 12:29 to give the Ephs a two-goal advantage 10-8 at 12:29 when the Mules failed on a clear.

Colby’s Donald Vivian scored when he reverse pivoted on the left sideline to evade his defender and came in on goalie Miles McCarthy ’16, sliding the ball past the McCarthy’s right foot and making the score 10-9 at 10:59.

At 10:23, Riley Hoffman ’17 came in on goal off the faceoff and blistered a shot into the right side of the net to re-establish the Ephs’ two-goal lead, 11-9.

At 7:54, Colby got one goal back off a shot by Cillian Connor, who fired from 17 yards out to the left of McCarthy. The ball bounced off of Hoffman into the net, making the score 11-10.

Gilbert-Bono answered soon after, however, at 7:17, when he put Williams back up by two, 12-10. Cillian Connor narrowed the Ephs’ lead once again when he netted an unassisted goal at 2:48.

Tanner MacIvor ’16 boosted the Williams lead back to two when he scored from 18 yards out at 1:14, making the score 13-11 Williams at the end of the third quarter.

At the start of the fourth quarter, Ephs went into a deliberate offensive approach, but an Eph turnover turned into a break out for the Mules, and Sayre scored off a pass from Michel. With 11:47 left, Williams led 13-12.

With 8:56 left, Gilbert-Bono threatened on Colby’s Dylan Rothenberg’s left and spotted MacIvor to hit him with a pass. MacIvor beat Rothenberg up top from 10 yards out to make it 14-12 Williams.

Thomas Fowler scored on a wrap-around coming around Rothenberg’s left side at 6:34, making the score 15-12, the first three-goal lead of the contest. Peter Crane ’16 boosted the Eph lead up to four when he scored an unassisted goal on a low shot from 14 yards out to the right with 3:01 remaining in the contest against the Mules.

Colby’s Alex Rutan scored the final goal of the game unassisted at 0:11.6 to make the final score 17-14 Williams.

“Our team offense and face off game were certainly strong against Colby,” Head Coach George McCormack said.

“We have also seen some vast improvements in regards to our team defense, but overall we need to continue to work on making it difficult for our opponent to get high percentage shots.”

Brian Bissell ’18 had a big game in faceoffs, winning 22 of 28. The Ephs held a 71-34 advantage in shots on the day, and the men collected 50 ground balls to 30 for the Mules.

The Eph attack was led by Fahey and MacIvor as they both netted four goals. Gilbert-Bono registered three assists for the Ephs.

The Ephs will also be in action tonight when they host Vassar in a non-conference game at 6 p.m. After that, they face Amherst on April 23.