Junior Advisors more likely to be white and varsity athletes

April 20, 2016 by Michael Green, Executive Editor and Francesca Paris, Executive Editor

The Record analyzed demographic data of the Junior Advisors (JAs) to the classes of 2018, 2019 and 2020 to assess the representativeness of these JAs in relation to the student body. The data indicated that students who were not on financial aid, who were varsity athletes and were white were significantly over-represented in the JA classes relative to the student body.

According to Jackie Lane ’16, co-president of the JA Advisory Board (JAAB), the JA applicant pool is typically unrepresentative of the student body. However, JAAB has made efforts in the past two years to make the applicant pool more representative by reaching out to various campus leaders to encourage students who may be hesitant to apply.

“The role has become increasingly demanding in the past few years, and I think the section process is adapting very successfully to accommodate those demands,” Lane said.

The data the Record collected was self-reported by the JAs in an online poll. Of the 156 JAs to the classes of 2018, 2019 and 2020, 115 or 74 percent responded, giving the poll a confidence interval of 4.7 percent, for a 95 percent level of confidence.

The class breakdown of the poll was relatively even, with 41 JAs to the class of 2020, 40 to the class of 2019 and 34 to the class of 2018.The gender breakdown of the poll was as follows: 53 respondents listed themselves as male, 61 listed themselves as female and one listed themself as other.

The data about the student body was obtained from information available on the College’s website.

The data was evaluated by chi-sqaure tests. Race (p=0.024) and financial aid status (p=0.036) were significant at the p<0.05 level, while participation in varsity athletics (p=0.070) was significant at the p<0.10 level. However, having a JA on the Selection Committee (p=0.19) and sexual orientation (p=0.96) were not significant.