Ephs triumph at Dick Farley Invite 111-91

April 20, 2016 by Kate Kennedy

Kayley McGonagle ’18 finished the 400-meter hurdles in 63.58, placing her seventh in the nation. Photo courtesy of Sports Information.

Kayley McGonagle ’18 finished the 400-meter hurdles in 63.58, placing her seventh in the nation. Photo courtesy of David Folsom.

Women’s track and field held its first and only home track meet of the year, the Dick Farley Invitational, last Saturday, competing against one of New England’s best Div. III teams, MIT, and ultimately winning 111-91. There were many individual personal records along the way.

Helene Hall ’18 set a personal record of 1.69 meters in the high jump, not only giving her the win, but also placing her third in the current NCAA rankings. Later in the day, Hall came back to create a new personal record of 10.79 meters in the triple jump. Hall was awarded NESCAC Women’s Field Performer of the Week for her performance in the high jump.

Chloe Rogers ’17 also made it onto the national leader board  by winning the triple jump in 11.74 meters, which ranks her eighth in Div. III. The 4×100 meter relay team, with Denver Williams ’19, co-captain Grace Weatherall ’16, Kennedy Green ’19 and Kelsey Adamson ’18, also placed nation-ally with a time of 48.41 seconds. This qualified them as the second team across the line in the meet and 10th fastest team in the NCAA Div. III rankings.

Green ’19, Kayley McGonagle ’18, Kene Odenigbo ’19 and Maggie Murphy ’19 also achieved personal bests at the meet. Green finished the 100 meter in 12.36 seconds and the 200 meter in 25.68 seconds. McGonagle finished her event, the 400-meter hurdles, in second with a time of 63.58 seconds, placing her in seventh place in the NCAA Div. III rankings for hurdles.

Odenigbo ’19 jumped a new record of 11.74 meters. Murphy, with a vault of 3.41 meters, placed third in the pole vault competition and built upon a series of impressive performances. Alejandra Moran ’17 also achieved another personal best, throwing the hammer 41.30 meters for a fourth place finish. Although she did not set an overall personal record, Meg Richardson ’16 ran the 5k in a season best of 18:13.98.

Williams, Weatherall and Anna Harleen ’18 also played big roles in the victory today. Williams won both of her events: running the 200 meters in 25:46 and the 400 meters in 58:17.

Weatherall scored in four individual events, along with the 4×100 relay: the 100 meter, 100-meter hurdles, 200 meter and long jump, an impressive individual performance which also pushed her team across the line. Harleen won her event, the 1500 meters, in a time of 4:35.22, which also ranks her ninth-fastest in the NCAA Div. III competition. Laney Teaford ’17 posted another victory for the Ephs with a consistent and strong race in the 800 meter, sprinting across the finish in 2:13.73.

The Williams team’s depth especially shone during the steeplechase, where Williams runners earned first, second, third and fourth place finishes. Emily Sundquist ’18 won with a time of 10:43.04, followed by Lacey Serletti ’16 in 11:05.00, Hannah Cole ’17 in 11:05.00 and Elowyn Pfeiffer ’18 in 11:30.00.

“We competed well with great energy, effort and execution,” Head Coach Nate Hoey said. “We need to continue to compete with confidence as the season progresses.”

The women are next in action at Princeton on Friday and Springfield on Saturday with the first race off at 11 a.m. The team then looks forward to NESCACs.