Baseball splits tight games against Cards

April 20, 2016 by Eric Hirsch, Staff Writer

Shortstop Kellen Hatheway ’19 led the offense last Saturday for the Ephs going 4-8 with two home runs, six RBIs and four hits. Baseball edged Wesleyan 5-2 to salvage a split of the important league doubleheader.

In the first game, Wesleyan took the lead in the bottom of the first with a two-run home run from Jordan Farber. Both teams were pretty quiet in the next few innings until the Ephs got on the board in the bottom of the sixth. Doug Schaffer ’18 led the charge with a single to left center field, followed by a single from Hatheway. Adam Dulsky ’18 grounded out to send Schaffer home, and a collision between Adam Regensburg ’18 and Wesleyan’s baseman Will O’Sullivan gave Hatheway time to score the tying run.

Williams held Wesleyan scoreless in the top of the seventh with great defensive plays, including Tyler Duff ’17 picking off a runner at second base. The game was tied 2-2 in the bottom of the seventh with Schaffer and Jack Cloud ’17 on base when Hatheway was able to get the win for the Ephs with a three-run walk-off home run that ended the game 5-2.

Duff pitched all seven innings for the Ephs and earned the win on the mound, giving up four hits and two runs and striking out four. Nick Miceli took the loss for Wesleyan pitching six innings, giving up five hits and five runs and striking out seven.

In the final game of the series, Williams took an early 4-1 lead in the bottom of the first with a big three-run home run from Hatheway. This was Hatheway’s second home run in successive at bats. Williams scored another run in the bottom of the fourth off a ground out by Schaffer that sent Alex Panstares ’19 home.

Williams struggled over the course of the next three innings, giving up eight runs while scoring none and allowing Wesleyan to extend their lead to 13-5.

Williams attempted to mount a comeback in the bottom of the eighth by scoring one run, but that was all they put up on the board. Wesleyan spoiled Williams’s bid at a series sweep and took the final game of the series by the score of 13-6.

Jack Bohen ’19 took the loss in the second game for Williams pitching 4.2 innings, giving up 11 hits and seven runs (six earned) and striking out two. Ethan Rode collected the win for Wesleyan pitching six innings, giving up nine hits and five runs and striking out one.

“Moving forward we want to continue to play solid baseball in all aspects of the game,” Head Coach Bill Barrale said. “We need to pitch better, play solid defense and continue to get clutch hits especially with two outs. We have 5 games before a very important 3 game series with Hamilton.”

“The wins over Wesleyan this weekend proved how good of a team we have this year. It was one of the most exciting series I’ve been a part of at Williams. Winning game one on Friday on their home field gave us a huge momentum boost moving into Saturday’s doubleheader. Kellen’s (Hathaway ’19) walk off home run on Saturday was one of the craziest moments in my collegiate career. We’ve put ourselves in a great place moving forward for the NESCAC playoffs with three must-win games against Hamilton.” Rodino said.

The Ephs moved to 8-14 overall and 4-5 in the NESCAC West. The Ephs next play today against Skidmore at 4 p.m. This weekend, the team travels to Bowdoin for a three-game set, with the first pitch on Saturday at 12 p.m in the important NESCAC matchup.