Women’s tennis wins on senior weekend

April 13, 2016 by John Toomey, Staff Writer

Women’s tennis (11-2, 3-0 in the NESCAC) played its first home matches of the spring season on Saturday and Sunday as part of the team’s Senior Weekend. Williams gained victories against No. 7 Middlebury, No. 8 Wesleyan and Conn. College with final scores of 7-2, 5-1 and 9-0, respectively. Williams remains undefeated in the NESCAC.

“This past weekend was a great way to kick-off the conference season,” captain Maya Hart ’16 said. “Our resiliency was evident after a long and challenging spring break. Middlebury, Wesleyan and Conn. College all pushed us in a way that allowed us to see the progress we have made since spring break, while also showing us the areas in which we can still improve.”

On Saturday, Williams faced off against Middlebury in doubles, which got off to a fast 3-0 start. Juli Raventos ’18 and Linda Shin ’17 maintained the lead in their victorious 8-2 match against Middlebury’s Ria Gerger and Kaysee Orozco.

Doubles teams of Julia Cancio ’18 and Hannah Atkinson ’17 as well as Mia Gancayco ’18 and Hart both initially fell behind 3-4. However, Cancio and Atkinson went on to win 5 straight sets and to end 8-4. Gancayco and Hart also battled back to secure an 8-5 victory.

In singles, Middlebury’s Alexandra Fields overcame Gancayco, bringing the score to 3-1. This was the closest Middlebury came, however, as Raventos and Shin followed with wins at 7-5, 6-4 and 6-0, 6-4, respectively. The win by Raventos clinched the match for Williams. Cancio and Leah Bush ’19 also both secured singles victories.

Following this victory, Williams faced Wesleyan and Conn. College in both singles and doubles on Sunday. Raventos secured a singles victory 6-4, 6-4 to clinch with a final score of 5-1, and Alex Stone ’16 won the final match against Conn. College. These wins bring Williams to 5-0 at home and 11-2 for the year.

The Ephs put forward the same doubles lineup against Wesleyan that had finished 3-0 against Middlebury. Cancio and Atkinson as well as Gancayco and Hart led in points throughout their victories, finishing 8-3 and 8-2, respectively.

Raventos and Shin battled through tie-breakers before falling 9-8, 7-5 to Wesleyan’s Eudice Chong and Aashli Budhiraja.

Against Conn. College, Williams posted undefeated doubles and singles wins by Stone and Giulia McDonnell Nieto del Rio ’18.

Riding a 3-0 lead into singles, Williams only needed two wins to clinch the victory. McDonnell Nieto del Rio overcame her opponent 6-1, 6-2 while Stone followed up with a win against Conn. College’s Charlotte Marcoux to end the day.

“We bounced back well from our last match, which was a 4-5 loss to Emory, this weekend as we opened up conference play,” Head Coach Alison Swain ’01  said. “The team was able in large part to implement some of the things we have been focusing on in practice in our matches.”

“The NESCAC conference is arguable the toughest conference in the country, so we are looking ahead to some big matches in the weekends going forward, and will continue to train hard and find areas where we can try to continuously improve.”

The women will compete in their final home meet of the year on April 15 when the Ephs square off against MIT before playing against archrival Amherst away on April 16. After these matches, the team will face more conference opponents until NESCAC Championships in early May.

In the fall season, Williams secured its first ever 9-0 shutout of Amherst and has won the last five matchups of the series.