Women stumble against league opponents

April 13, 2016 by Ryan Farley

Eliza Quigley ’19 contributed one goal to the womens’ effort against league rival Wesleyan. Photo courtesy of Sports Information.

Women’s lacrosse (4-6, 2-4 in the NESCAC) fell to Wesleyan last Saturday at home in a close 10-9 game. Last Wednesday, Williams dropped a 9-5 decision to Tufts, which came on the heels of two other conference losses.

Despite a strong first half and an impressive performance from co-captain Micaela Dussel ’16, the Ephs were unable to hold on to the lead after the Cardinals outscored them 7-2 in the second half.

Wesleyan took an early lead when Rachel Aronow and Breanna Cavanaugh each scored unassisted goals in the first 10 minutes of play. After the women lost possession of the following draw control, Kailie Saudek ’19 forced a turnover to win possession back for Williams. Following a successful clear attempt, the Cardinals fouled and gave Dussel a free position shot. She made the shot, putting the Ephs on the board and making the score 2-1 for the Cardinals.

Five minutes later, the Ephs tied things up when co-captain Anne Rehfuss ’16 scored her ninth goal of the season on an unassisted play. The Cardinals, however, answered back and quickly regained the lead. Kat Fearey ’18 won the following draw control that translated into shots from Rehfuss, Olivia Polk ’18 and co-captain Natalie Gill ’16 in an aggressive three minutes of Eph offense. Dussel then scored on a free position attempt at 11:04, making the score 3-3.

Williams dominated the rest of the half as four different Ephs found the goal, including Gill, who is just returning from an injury that kept her out for the first half of the season.

Wesleyan came out strong in the second half, scoring two goals in the first two minutes, including one in a man-down situation. Emma Tenbarge ’19 took advantage of a man-up situation when she scored the second of her three goals of the game, putting the Ephs up 8-5. The Cardinals tied it up at eight apiece before Tenbarge responded with another goal to gain back the lead for the Ephs at 7:47. With 3:37 left to play, Wesleyan tied the game again at nine. The final three minutes of play were a battle that ultimately resulted in Wesleyan coming out on top, scoring the game-winning goal with just 17 seconds left on the clock.

Dussel led Williams in points with three goals and one assist. Tenbarge also scored three goals. Rehfuss, Gill and Eliza Quigley ’19 each contributed one goal to the scoring effort. Goalie Ana Alvarenga ’19 played all 60 minutes, allowing 10 goals while making seven saves in a steady performance for the women.

“We need to keep working on executing the details of the game better and look forward to the challenge of our remaining games,” said Head Coach Chris Mason.

“We have 4 games left; 3 of them are NESCAC games and we need to win at least one or two more games to get into the tournament. It is going to come down to a matter of bringing out the heart in each one of us. All of these games are winnable, but we have to want it more than our opponents. Our young team has come a far way this season and we have already seen a lot of improvement from the underclassmen,” said co-captain Molly Belk ’16.

On Mar. 26, the women fell to Bates by a score of 14-5, culminating their slate of Spring Break games.

The Ephs traveled to Hamilton yesterday, where they faced off against the Continentals, though scores came in too late to report. The team’s next game is this Saturday at noon at Colby.