Spring Street Blues

April 13, 2016 by Ryan Kelley, News Editor and Neena Patel, News Editor

Monday 4-4-16

8:09 a.m. B&L parking lot: Campus Safety and Security (CSS) Officers responded to the B&L Lot to meet a grounds worker who reported that while plowing the lot he had accidentally backed into a pole light, snapping it off completely. It was lying in the grass behind the B&L building. CSS contacted Williamstown Police Department (WPD). They informed electrical trades of the damage and an electrical tradesman responded to the lot to disconnect it.

8:50 p.m. Weston Field Parking Lot: CSS received a report of a suspicious vehicle. Officers identified the vehicle and driver, who had a legitimate reason for being there.

Tuesday 4-5-16

9:35 a.m. Williams Hall: A fire alarm sounded. Dispatch was asked to make contact with electrical trades and mechanical trades who responded. The problem was corrected and the system was reset.

Thursday 4-7-16

11:05 a.m. Health Center: A staff member reported a smell of natural gas in the building. All of the windows were open in the waiting room and reception area. Officers requested that mechanical trades from Facilities be contacted and respond as well. No odor or fumes were identified. There is construction in the lot and one of the truck’s exhausts or machines may have caused the smell.   

1:10 p.m. Fitch House: Custodial staff contacted CSS concerning some findings. They found a couple of broken hammers, a wooden stump and some railroad spikes. Officers checked with residents there and found that the hammers and spikes are tools used to play a drinking game called “stump.” The items were removed and a report was sent to the Dean’s Office.

8:06 p.m. Thompson Chemistry: College tradesmen working in the Skinner Lab reported a container of hydrochloric acid that had fallen to the floor and broken while they were working in the lab. The coordinator of science facilities and the safety and environmental compliance officer responded immediately. They called Williamstown Fire Department (WFD) for assistance with cleaning up the spill. State Hazardous-Materials was contacted and they deter-mined that it was safe for WFD personal to dispose of the spilt materials.

10:50 p.m. Mission Park: Officers were dispatched to the south entrance of Mission Park first floor because the stove in the common area had something burning in a pan. Someone reported that all the burners were turned off, yet the stove would not turn off.

Friday 4-8-16

8:25 a.m. Fort Hoosac: There was a 911 activation. WPD notified dispatch of the activation. Upon arrival, Village Ambulance and WPD were already on scene. A student had his hand rapped in gauze and was exiting the ambulance because he refused transportation to Berkshire Medical Center.

11:09 p.m. Carter House: CSS received a noise complaint. Upon arrival, officers found the common room all clear and quiet. There was evidence of a gathering, with a beer pong table set up and several empty beer cans.

11:10 p.m. Perry House: There was a noise complaint. The DJ had the music playing very loudly for a registered event. He was told of the complaint. Everyone was cooperative and respectful.

11:22 p.m. Bryant House: There was a noise complaint. Officers found about 10 students dancing to loud music and drinking beer. There was no hard alcohol present. The students complied and turned down the music immediately.

11:49 p.m. Perry House: CSS received a noise complaint. Officers again spoke with the DJ for the registered event taking place.

Saturday 4-9-16

12:17 a.m. Sage Hall: Officers came across remnants of an illegal gathering in an unoccupied entry common room. Officers found four empty 30 packs of beer and one empty bottle of Tito’s Vodka. There were two tables set up with cans and Solo cups on them. The floor was littered with empty beer cans, spilled beer and Solo cups.

10:49 p.m. Hubbell House: CSS received a noise complaint of loud music. Just inside the front door there were between 10 and 12 students standing around a beer pong table drinking a few beers and listening to loud music. They turned down the music and were asked to set up their table in another room because it was a fire hazard.

11:14 p.m. Perry Goat Room: CSS received a noise complaint. Officers spoke to 16 individuals in the Goat Room who had not registered an event. They were dancing and listening to music. The group was informed of the noise complaint and agreed to turn down the music. There was also loud music coming from another room. Officers informed this room of the noise complaint and asked that they turn down their music, too.

11:38 p.m. Fitch House: CSS received a noise complaint. Upon arrival, an officer spoke with a student who had registered an event from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. There were 15 students present and a 30 pack of beer. They were asked to turn down the music to a reasonable level. The event otherwise was in full compliance.

11:47 p.m. Brooks House: Officers found an unregistered event in progress. There were around 60 to 70 students in the basement. CSS shut down the event due to overcapacity.

Sunday 4-10-16

1:57 a.m. ’62 Center for Theater and Dance: CSS received a report of a suspicious individual.  Officers obtained a description of the unknown individual and found the gentleman in a computer lab studying. The unknown individual was a student.

4:00 p.m. Lasell Gym: Officers responded to a report of a broken window in the Heavy Bag Room on the second floor of Lasell Gym. A windowpane, approximately four inches by eight inches, was mostly missing. The officer retrieved a piece of cardboard and taped in the windowpane. The officer also placed a work order for Architectural Trades to address the issue.