College admits 1206 to the Class of 2020

April 13, 2016 by Ryan Kelley, News Editor

Over 500 accepted students experienced academic and social life at the College during Williams Previews from April 11-12. Grace Flaherty/Photo Editor.

On March 23, the College announced that it had offered 1206 students admission to the Class of 2020. With a total application pool of 6982, 17 percent of applications were accepted.

Of the students admitted, 623 are women and 583 are men. 100 are international students, who together represent 45 countries. Of domestic students, 49 percent are students of color (221 students are Asian American, 186 are black, 169 are Latino and 13 are Native American).

Additionally, 255 are first-generation college students, and 105 have a parent who attended the College.

Students from the U.S. represent the following geographic regions: 27 percent from the Mid-Atlantic, 21 percent from the West, 16 percent from the Northeast, 13 percent from the South, eight percent from the Midwest and four percent from the Southwest. Two students live in Puerto Rico, and one student lives in Guam.

“We are blessed with a world-class applicant pool, and choosing among so many highly qualified applicants was as challenging as it’s ever been,” Director of Admission Richard Nesbitt said. “We’re thrilled with the results of our deliberations, which promise to yield an extraordinarily talented and diverse Class of 2020.”

The average SAT scores are 727 in critical reading, 722 in math and 727 in writing. The average super-scored ACT is 33. Ninety-four percent of the accepted students who submitted high school rank will graduate in the top 10 percent of their class.

Sixty-eight percent of the 1206 students applied for financial aid. Admission decisions are need-blind for domestic students, and the College provides financial aid packages (including grants, work-study options and loans) to meet 100 percent of demonstrated need for each student.

The College accepted 223 students who are affiliated with the QuestBridge program, an organization which helps the College identify high-achieving high school students from low-income backgrounds. Additionally, 115 admitted students participated in Windows on Williams (WOW), a program in the fall that provides high-achieving high school seniors from low-income backgrounds the opportunity to visit the College. The application process for WOW is separate from the admission process. 

Like last year, the desired size for the Class of 2020 is 550 students. Via the early decision process, 245 students have already committed to the College, and 10 students will join the class after deferring admission last year in favor of gap year opportunities.

On April 11 and 12, over 500 of the 1206 accepted students attended Williams Previews to explore campus, experience the entry system and engage with future professors and classmates.

The remaining admitted students have until May 1 to decide whether or not to enroll. The College expects a total yield rate of approximately 46 percent.