Baseball splits games 5-2 and 5-4 in doubleheader against Amherst

April 13, 2016 by Eric Hirsch, Staff Writer

David Rosas ’16 had scored in each of the contests against archrival Amherst this weekend. Photo courtesy of Sports Information.

Jackson Parese ’17 went four-for-five and Nathan Michalski ’17 pitched 5 1/3 solid innings on Saturday in Amherst, Mass., as the baseball team (6-12 overall, 2-4 in the NESCAC West) edged out rival Amherst 5-4 to earn a doubleheader split after dropping the first game.

“Taking a win from Amherst this weekend was a big win for us,” tri-captain Luke Rodino ’16 said. “We’re a young team that has had to overcome a slew of injuries early in the season, and I think we’ve battled hard in every game that we’ve played.”

Amherst won the opener on Saturday 5-2. Captain Riley Streit tossed a complete game for the Purple and White, allowing four hits and two runs while fanning three in seven innings on the mound. Amherst captured the contest despite surrendering an early lead to the visitors.

The Ephs took a 2-0 lead in the second inning of game two. Jack Cloud ’17 led off with a double and Parese singled. Adam Dulsky ’18 knocked a fielder’s choice, which put Cloud across the plate for the first run of the game. Michalski’s squeeze bunt brought home Parese to put the Ephs up 2-0.

Amherst scored once in the second inning and once in the fifth to tie the game and it was still 2-2 as Williams came to bat in the top of the seventh. David Rosas ’16 was hit by a pitch with one out and advanced to second on a wild pitch. With two outs, Doug Schaffer ’18 singled to center to score Rosas for a 3-2 lead.

Showing tenacity, Amherst rallied again with a single run in the bottom of the eighth to tie the game at 3-3. However, Williams answered with two runs in the top of the ninth to take a 5-3 lead.

With one out, Kellen Hatheway ’19 singled and advanced to third on a single from Schaffer. Cloud broke the tie with an RBI single that plated Hatheway and Schaffer scored the insurance run on a balk call.

Amherst threatened to rally again in the bottom of the ninth, with its batters hitting a double, a single and a sacrifice fly that scored a run.

With runners on second and third, Eph closer and tri-captain Arnie Capute ’16 induced a foul out to end the game.

Michalski pitched 5 1/3 innings in the start for Williams, allowing five hits and two runs while striking out two.

Jack Bohen ’19 tossed 2 1/3 innings in relief, while Capute (1-0) earned the win, throwing 1 1/3 innings and allowing two hits and a run. Schaffer and Cloud each went 2-for-4 in the game with an RBI and a run.

In the opener, Williams took a 2-0 lead in the top of the first. Rosas drew a lead-off walk and Adam Regensburg ’18 singled. A balk call moved runners to second and third and Hatheway scored one run with a groundout. Regensburg scored the second run on a sacrifice fly from Cloud.

Amherst answered with two runs in the bottom of the first and two more in the second to take a 4-2 lead.

Regensburg recorded two of the Ephs’ four hits, going 2-for-4 with a run. Schaffer finished 1-for-3, while Cloud went 1-for-2 with an RBI. Tyler Duff ’17 (0-2) took the loss for Williams, pitching six innings and giving up eight hits and five runs while striking out two.

“After losing the first two games of the series, the guys really focused up to take a close game against a nationally ranked opponent,” Rodino said. “We got an amazing performance out of Nate [Michalshi] and we took advantage of Amherst’s mistakes in this game. We’re looking to build off that win and carry that momentum into this weekend’s series against Wesleyan.”

“This was a game where we were on the road and playing a big rival,” Head Coach Bill Barrale said. “We played good baseball even though the first game got away from us. Getting that win for the third game was definitely nice and I am proud the team was able to play some clean baseball even though we came up short with trying to win the series.”

Williams last beat Amherst in 2014 season. Next, the men will face rival Wesleyan away on Friday at 4 p.m.