Men’s lacrosse drops tight games to Bowdoin 15-9 and Union 12-11

March 16, 2016 by Patrick Gerald

Riley Hoffman ’17 added a goal and an assist on Saturday. Photo courtesy of Sports Information.

The men’s lacrosse team (1-2, 1-1 in the NESCAC) dropped a pair of games on the road over the weekend, falling to Union in a tight 12-11 contest and to Bowdoin 15-9. In the latter game, a five-goal run in the third quarter by the Polar Bears was too much for the Ephs to overcome.

The first goal of the game against Bowdoin on Saturday came from a fast break by Riley Hoffman ’17 after 4:47 of play. In the following play, Bowdoin won the face-off and scored in transition to even the score. The next goal put the men up 2-1, as Thomas Fowler ’17 slipped his defender and punched the ball into the net. In the following four minutes, possession changed frequently and neither team scored until Bowdoin finally broke the stalemate to tie the game going into the break.

The second quarter began with the score tied 2-2. In the second quarter Bowdoin again took a lead it would maintain for the rest of the game, asserting control with three goals. The men were not able to get their first goal of the quarter until 3:40, when Conor Roddy ’16 fired one in. In the last minutes of the quarter, Bowdoin struck back, scoring a goal on a man up play and then winning the face-off, scoring again on the following possession to enter halftime with a four-goal lead.

Co-captain Peter Crane ’16 scored early in the first half for Williams to reduce the lead down to three, but Bowdoin then went on a three-goal run to pull further ahead. At 4:38, Roddy scored again for the men to stop Bowdoin temporarily, but the opposing team soon went on another three-goal run. Following the third goal, Williams won the face-off and scored a goal in transition just before the quarter’s end to finish the third quarter down 13-6.

In the fourth quarter, the Ephs could not overcome the deficit, although they did outscore the Bears 3-2 in the fourth quarter to make the final tally 15-9. Williams’s goalie Miles McCarthy ’16 played 60 minutes and had nine saves while allowing 15 goals.

Last Wednesday, the men lost a close game 12-11 at Union. Williams started off strong, winning the first two face-offs and scoring twice before Union got possession of the ball. Fowler and Michael Fahey ’17 scored goals for the Ephs.

The Ephs likewise started out hot in the second quarter, scoring two goals in the first three minutes, with one from Fowler and one from Jack Lee ’18 to extend the lead to three goals. But Union didn’t concede defeat so easily and soon went on a four-goal run to finish out the half ahead 5-4.

Union scored the next goal of the game in transition. The men were quick to answer back, as Greg Plumb ’18 fired another shot in transition, beating the goalie and netting one for Williams. Williams had a chance to tie the game when Union committed a holding penalty to give the team another man up opportunity, but Union could not run out the penalty.

With five minutes left in the quarter, Williams got another man up opportunity, and Crane scored for the men to even up the score at 6-6. That goal was the start of a four-goal run for Williams as Crane, Roddy and Lee scored the next three to take a 9-6 lead. Union stopped the run just before the quarter ended, when Nolan Stauffer fired one in with three seconds left to reduce the Williams lead to two goals going into the fourth quarter.

Union won the opening face-off of the quarter but turned the ball over, leading to a three-minute possession for Williams that ended with a goal by Roddy. The men won the following face-off, and Fahey scored another for the team to start some momentum. However, Union was quick to kill that momentum, winning the following face-off and scoring on the play. The teams remained in a stalemate for the next three minutes but then, from 6:26 to 6:16, Union scored three quick goals to tie the game up at 11-11. Two minutes later, Jack Scheufele scored another for Union to take the lead with 4:39 remaining. Williams was unable to find the net again for the remainder of the game and lost 12-11.

The next game for the Ephs will be played on March 29, when the team will have its first home game of the season against Conn. College at 1 p.m.