Athletes of the Week

March 16, 2016 by Reed Jenkins, Sports Editor

George Hunkele ’17

George Hunkele ’17

Men’s Ice Hockey

West Haven, Conn.

“George is an incredible teammate and competitor.  In every practice and game situation he is committed to getting better, performing at a top level and doing it all for the team.   We are looking forward to another productive week from George and his line-mates as we enter NCAA quarterfinal play.”

– Bill Kangas

Head Coach

In the team’s inaugural NCAA tournament game against Salem State, Hunkele scored two important goals to help lead  the men to a convincing 7-1 win. Hunkele opened the scoring for the Ephs at 19:37 in the first period, staking the team to a lead it would not relinquish. Hunkele also later added an insurance goal while firing an additional 3 shots on goal. For the season, Hunkele has contributed nine goals as an integral part of the Ephs’ offensive unit.

Ana Alvarenga ’19

Ana Alvarenga ’19

Women’s Lacrosse

Sao Paolo, Brazil

“Ana played a great game against Bowdoin with a .58 save percentage. Any save percentage over 50 percent is outstanding.  She sees the game well and does a very good job directing the defense. Ana is quick, agile and competitive and we are thrilled to add her to our team!”

– Chris Mason

Head Coach

In a league matchup against the Bowdoin Polar Bears over the weekend, Alvarenga made 11 saves, helping lead the team to a 10-8 victory, their first of the season. Coming off a tight loss to RPI, Alvarenga’s outstanding 58 percent save rate helped to keep the opposition off the scoreboard and return posession to the Ephs attackers. In three games this season, Alvarenga has compiled a total of 23 saves, while also helping to organize the team’s defense.