Women’s lacrosse falls to Trinity

March 9, 2016 by Ryan Farley

Emma Tenbarge ’19 scored her first goal of her collegiate career in the team’s season-opening loss against Trinity on Saturday. Photo courtesy of Sports Information.

Women’s lacrosse (0-1, 0-1 in the NESCAC)  fell to Trinity, ranked second in the nation, 12-5 in the 2016 home opener at Farley-Lamb Field last Saturday.

After a scoreless first nine minutes, Trinity’s Martha Griffin scored the first goal of the game at 20:56. The women answered shortly after when Emma Tenbarge ’19 buried the ball in the back of the net.

With 3:33 remaining in the first half, co-captain Anne Rehfuss ’16 scored off of a feed from co-captain Micaela Dussel ’16 to bring Williams within one goal, cutting the deficit to 4-3. Trinity, however, answered the Rehfuss tally with a goal of its own 52 seconds later when Clare Lyne fired the ball into the net off of a pass from Griffin. Led by the strong play of Griffin, the visitors took a 5-3 lead into halftime which would not be relinquished.

The Bantams opened the second half with five straight goals in the first five minutes by five different players to establish a 10-3 lead. After a Bantam turnover, the Ephs gained possession of the ball for the first time in the half. Kate Pattison ’18 sprinted down the field for a successful clear attempt, and at 23:15 a pass from Rehfuss found Jenna Chodos ’17 coming around the net. Chodos found the goal with a scorching shot to put the women on the board for the first time in the half.

The Bantams controlled the ball briefly after winning their fourth straight draw until Eliza Quigley ’19 forced a turnover and the Ephs regained possession. After trading possessions once again Katie Gallop ’17 fired off a shot that was saved by Bantam goalie Emily Mooney. Although the women strung together offensive opportunities as the half continued, goals remained elusive. The Ephs called a timeout with 18:59 remaining in the half to regroup and reorganize their attack.

Coming out of the timeout Alyssa Maddalone ’16 scored off of a free position shot to put Williams within five. Chodos controlled the next draw for the women, putting Dussel in position for a great shot that was stopped by Trinity’s Mooney returning possession back to the visitors. Possession continued to go back-and-forth until Trinity’s Griffin scored her third goal of the game off a free position shot at 12:39.

The Ephs and the Bantams again exchanged possessions and saw great effort on free position attempts from Chodos, Dussel and Olivia Polk ’18. Griffin scored the final goal of the game at 1:21 off an assist from Karly Simpson, increasing her scoring tally to four.

Griffin led Trinity on offense with five points, while Mooney had seven saves and Zoe Ferguson had four. Five different players each scored one goal for the Ephs while, in net, Ana Alvarenga ’19 kept the team in the game with seven saves.

“Trinity is a very strong team, so I loved playing them first so our younger players, who are getting their first taste of playing in the NESCAC, could get right into it,” Head Coach Chris Mason said. “We had a decent start to the game and felt okay with the half time score, even though we had missed a few opportunities with some unforced turnovers. Unfortunately, Trinity had a five goal run on us right in the beginning of the second half. We weren’t getting organized in the defensive end quickly enough, so that is something we will work on a lot this week.”

The women will next face non-league foe RPI in Troy, N.Y. on Thursday at 5 p.m.