Williams Inn slated to move to Spring Street

March 9, 2016 by Neena Patel, News Editor

The Williams Inn will move to a new location on Spring Street to increase connection with the businesses on the street. Grace Flaherty/Photo Editor.

The Williams Inn will be moving from Main Street to the base of Spring Street on land owned by the College.

In April of 2014, the College bought the Inn from Marilyn and Carl Faulkner, who owned and managed the Inn and its 124 rooms for 35 years. In the past few years, the College has partnered with Main Street Hospitality Group, a management firm based at the Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge, Mass., to oversee the Inn.

The Inn was originally part of the Treadway Inns hotel chain started by L.G. Treadway in 1909. It served as the flagship hotel of this chain. It was passed down through the Treadway family.

In 1964, the Treadway family sold the Inn to its employees. In 1971, the New Jersey-based chain, Mohawk Inns, assumed ownership. The current Inn was constructed in 1974 on property that was formerly a fraternity house and before that the home of one of the founders of Proctor & Gamble. In the past four decades, the ownership only switched once when the Faulkner’s acquired it.

“We believe having an inn onSpring Street will increase the vitality of the street, which will help the current merchants and attract other businesses,” Frederick Puddester, vice president for finance and administration and treasurer, said. “The existing building does little to help Spring Street. Also the building is quite old and would be hard to renovate into a modern, sustainable building.”

In May, project managers will take the next step. At that point, the proposed zoning change will be presented at a town meeting for residents to vote on. “It is still early in the process. We have done preliminary studies related to traffic, parking and ecological considerations. Based on this early work, it appears there will be no major issues with the Inn on Spring Street,” Puddester said.

At the moment, there are no new plans for the land on which the Williams Inn currently sits. If the zoning change is approved, the new inn would open in 2019.