Spring Street Blues

March 9, 2016 by Ryan Kelley, News Editor and Neena Patel, News Editor

Monday 2-29-15

1:44 p.m. Spencer Studio Art: A staff member reported that her vehicle had been hit last Wednesday in the Spencer Studio Art parking lot to Campus Safety and Security (CSS). The vehicle had been parked in Spencer Art lot.  The damage showed paint transfer from a blue vehicle. Through investigation CSS identified another vehicle parked in the lot as responsible.

Tuesday 3-1-16

9:12 p.m. Williamstown Police Department (WPD): WPD reported that they started an investigation after a student reported a significant loss of money through an internet site that appears to be a scam promising a job offer. Campus Safety contacted the student to have him file an incident report with the college and allow CSS to get the specific details.

Wednesday 3-2-2016

12:01 a.m. Route 2: A student called to report that he and another student were stuck on the New York state side of the Taconic Trail (Route 2). There were traveling back to campus and a large tree branch fell into the road and hit their car, smashing the windshield. CSS called NY State Police who assisted the students. They later arrived on campus by tow truck with the vehicle. Officers assisted them and parked the car under cover in the Parking Garage because of the broken windshield. The students were transported to their dorm.

1:31 a.m. Williams Hall: There was a very strong odor of marijuana. An individual was smoking a marijuana joint outside Williams Hall. CSS contacted the WPD. The student explained that he believed he was allowed to smoke marijuana as long as he was not doing it in his room, which he had been caught doing earlier in the year. CSS told him that one could not possess any illegal drug on the College property inside or outside the buildings. WPD Officers arrived. WPD Officer recorded the student’s information, but did not cite him. They advised the student that although possession of marijuana under one ounce has been decriminalized, it is still illegal and against College policy.

3:37 a.m. Sawyer Library: Officers responded to an intrusion alarm from the Mabie Room. Officers found the lights on and the door unlocked, though officers had secured the room at 2:15 a.m. while securing the Library. Nobody was found inside the room or in the area. CSS re-secured the door and reset and rearmed the intrusion system.

4:04 p.m. Fayerweather Hall: A resident of Fayerweather reported that on Tuesday, between 5:30 p.m. and 7 p.m., someone had taken $200 cash from his wallet that was left inside a coat pocket at Driscoll Dining Hall while he was having dinner. CSS completed a statement and Stolen Article Report (SAR) and faxed the SAR to the WPD.

Friday 3-4-16   

12:27 a.m. Tunnel City Parking Lot area: CSS received a report of a woman who had screamed twice. CSS separated and canvassed the area with WPD. They discovered no person in distress after an extensive search of the area and its surroundings. There was a large party at 66 Hoxsey St. (off-campus housing) with several students inside and outside the house. Officers could hear loud music coming from the residence and observed several students departing in all different directions. They determined that the screaming noises possibly derived from the large gathering at 66 Hoxsey St.

4:40 p.m. Faculty Club: An instrusion alarm was sounded. Upon arrival officers found staff leaving the building. Officers checked the building and found a couple of doors open. Everything was secured and the system was re-armed.   

7:45 p.m. Route 2: An officer stopped at Park Street and Route 2 observed a body lying in the road. Dispatch contacted WPD and Village Ambulance. There was a student lying face down in the road. A retired local pediatrician attended to the student. The student had been hit by a car while in the crosswalk. WPD and Village Ambulance responded promptly. The student was put in a neck brace and a straightboard before being placed on the stretcher and taken to Berkshire Medical Center South.

9:45 p.m. Morgan Hall: CSS received a report of an odor of marijuana. Officers could not identify a specific room. Officers spoke to several students and informed them of the compliant, reviewed smoking policies inside the building and asked them to spread the word to others. 

10:30 p.m. Williams Hall basement: Officers came across a group of 28 students drinking. The space was picked up and everyone exited in an orderly manner.

10:52 p.m. Fayerweather Hall: There was a noise complaint. Officer found four students playing music loudly. They apologized for the disturbance and turned the music down.

Saturday 3-5-16

11:15 a.m. Dodd House: The fire alarm went off. The cause of the alarm was from cooking. The area was ventilated and the system was reset.

1:05 p.m. Parsons House: The fire alarm sounded as a result of cooking. Officers silenced the system and waited for the smoke to dissipate before the system was reset.

3:30 p.m. Chandler Gym office: Officers responded to an intrusion alarm, but did not see anyone in this space. They reset the panel and cleared.

8:45 p.m. Wood House: Officers detected marijuana odors in the basement. The windows in the basement were open. Officer spoke with a few students in a basement bedroom who had their door open and were watching a video.

9:45 p.m. Paresky Student Center: An officer checked with the Night Manager of the ’82 Grill about a problem with a cooler that was releasing slight noxious fumes. After discussion with the Safety and Environmental Compliance Manager and the discovery of an employee’s symptoms from the fumes, CSS and management decided to close the ’82 Grill for the evening.

10:30 p.m. Mills: Officers responded to a report of students smoking marijuana in Mills. Upon arrival, there was a faint odor of marijuana in the hallway but it was difficult to pinpoint the source. It seemed like someone may have used air freshener to cover the smell. A room and resident were identified.

11:26 p.m. Mission Park: The fire alarm went off. The cause was burned popcorn in Mills. The area was ventilated and the fire system reset.