Ephs edge Bantams in thrilling season opener

March 9, 2016 by Patrick Gerald

Bryson Gilbert-Bono ’16 scored a goal in the team’s season-opening win against Trinity. Photo courtesy of Sports Information.

Men’s lacrosse (1-0, 1-0 in the NESCAC) defeated Trinity 16-15 on Saturday in the first game of the season. With the win, Williams has now defeated Trinity in its last four match-ups.

The first half started with a run from Trinity as Ryan DeSimone scored two goals for the Bantams, driving from behind the net each time. The Ephs responded with a four-goal run with scores from Bryson Gilbert-Bono ’16, Chris McLaughlin ’18, Conor Roddy ’16 and co-captain Peter Crane ’16.

The second quarter followed in a similar fashion to the first quarter. Trinity went on a two-goal run, starting with a goal by Seth Bird off of a rebound. Then, Ben Knaus scored another on a fast break after a Williams turnover to tie the game.

This time the men responded with a five-goal run. The first came after Roddy drove, making his man lose his footing, and then passed the ball to an open Thomas Fowler ’17 on the crease who ultimately scored on the run.

Trinity won the following face-off and got the ball to DeSimone, who tried to attack from behind the crease just as he had done in the first quarter. However, co-captain Ryan Hamilton ’16 forced a turnover and Fowler scored again for the Ephs on the following possession. Williams scored the next three goals with two from Michael Fahey ’17 and one from McLaughlin to complete a five-goal run to end the half ahead 9-4.

In the third quarter, Trinity fought hard to get back into the game. Trinity scored the first goal of the second half on the half’s first possession. Trinity then won the following two face-offs and scored on each possession to cut the Williams lead to two goals.

Williams won the following face-off to get possession for the first time of the half at 12:16. Williams had a long possession with two dangerous shots from Gilbert-Bono that failed to find the back of the net, but eventually Fahey scored for the Ephs.

The Bantams then went on a two-goal run to bring the Ephs’ lead down to just one. As the Bantams attempted to extend its run to three goals, they won a face-off and raced down on a fast break, but a check from Hamilton ultimately stopped them. The run started a fast break for the Ephs that led to a goal by Riley Hoffman ’17.

Trinity then finished the quarter with a three-goal run to go into the fourth quarter with the game tied 12-12 for the first time since 6:04 in the first quarter.

DeSimone scored the first goal early in the fourth quarter for Trinity to maintain the Bantams’ momentum. The Bantams followed it up with another on a fast break. The Ephs broke the momentum when their man-up play culminated in a goal by Roddy with an assist from Fahey. On the next goal, Roddy passed it to Fahey for the score on another man-up play.

Williams broke the tie when Hoffman forced a turnover and carried a fast break to find Fowler for a go ahead goal.

Trinity won the face off and made dangerous attempts to tie the game up, but eventually Hamilton defended DeSimone into a tough shot and Miles McCarthy ’16 made a big save for Williams to get possession and end the game with a 16-15 win. The men are thrilled with its first win.

“We need to continue to work hard on the fundamentals and strive for improvement to continue to develop as a program,” Head Coach George McCormack said.

The next game for the men is against Union tonight at 6 p.m.