Spring Street Blues

March 2, 2016 by Neena Patel, News Editor and Ryan Kelley, News Editor

Monday 2-22-16

8:42 p.m. Meacham Street: Dispatch received a report of a chipmunk in the attic. The tenant reported that his cat had it cornered in the attic. Upon arrival the critter had eluded all pursuers.  CSS submitted a work order to Facilities to look into the situation. The resident expressed concern for his cat if there were any traps set out.

11:16 p.m. Williams College Museum of Art: An environmental alarm was triggered. CSS dispatched the on-call mechanical tradesman, who was able to get the unit running again. 

Tuesday 2-23-16

11:17 a.m. The Log: Officers responded to a fire alarm. A smoke detector was activated in the kitchen duct work. The cause was smoke from the fryer. Officers ventilated the area and reset the system.

9:15 p.m. Faculty Club: A dining staff member who returned to the building, not realizing the burglary system had been armed, set off an intrusion alarm.

Wednesday 2-24-16

8:47 a.m. Spring Street: An officer stopped after observing people assisting a woman to her feet.  The older woman had fallen, landing on the sidewalk in front of the information window located in the B&L Building. Officers called 911. Village Ambulance arrived but the patient  refused assistance or transport.

Thursday 2-25-16

8:25 a.m. Stetson Court: Dispatch received a report of water bubbling up out of the ground. An officer confirmed this and placed a cone near the bubbling. Dispatch contacted Campus Mechanical Trades immediately.

2:38 p.m. Lehman Hall: A Safety & Environmental Compliance staff member reported the odor of marijuana in Lehman.

Friday 2-26-16

1:45 a.m. Fitch Basement: Officers responded to a noise complaint. Five students were found in the basement game room listening to music. Officers notified them of the complaint and they agreed to keep the music low.

4:47 p.m. Hardy House: CSS received a report about a possible animal in the ceiling. The caller heard scratching and scurrying. The responding officer checked the office above, but saw no animal. Dispatch placed a work order to have pest control set a trap or check to see if there is an access point in the building through which an animal can gain access.

11:12 p.m. Prospect House: Officers responded to a noise complaint at WCFM. Upon arrival, they found that the music was actually coming from the basement common area. The five students that were in the area were very cooperative and turned off the music.

11:28 p.m. Agard House: Officers received a tip about an unregistered party at Agard. They found the basement lounge trashed, with many empty Solo cups and beer cans thrown all over the room. There were broken beer bottles on the floor and one of the plastic tables appeared to be broken. There were at least four empty 30-packs, one empty bottle of Fireball Whiskey and one bottle of Grave Grain Alcohol, both in violation of College policy. There was also a heavy odor of marijuana in the lounge. CSS called the on-call custodian because of the size of the mess and the lack of students present to clean it.

Saturday 2-27-16

12:21 a.m. Hopkins Hall: An officer took a statement from a student who had attended an event at Goodrich Hall. Prior to her departure she found her wallet on a windowsill where her coat was, and her gloves were on the floor, but the coat was nowhere to be found. CSS sent a stolen article report to the WPD.

1:01 a.m. Paresky Center: Officers were dispatched to the ’82 Grill for an intoxicated student. They called 911. The student was transported to Berkshire Medical Center North.

9:45 p.m. Parking Garage: Officer observed a vehicle with parking lights on. Upon checking it out, he observed a person sleeping in the vehicle in a sleeping bag. There wasn’t a College student decal on the vehicle, but there was a Mystic Program sticker on it. He said he was a guest of a College student who had stayed in Gladden House the night before, but preferred to sleep in his vehicle tonight. Officers told them they could not allow this because of a concern for his safety. He decided to go across the street to the Williams Inn.

9:47 p.m. Agard House: CSS received a report of a verbal argument in the parking lot. Officers responded and found no one in the parking lot. Students reported that there had been two males in a disagreement but they left prior to the officers’ arrival.

10:27 p.m. Prospect House: An officer found a small gathering of approximately 15 students in the basement common area. However, there was a substantial amount of hard alcohol present in violation of the College policy. None of the students were intoxicated and one student took responsibility. Officers broke up the party.

10:58 p.m. Perry House: A student reported that she heard someone outside of her door. When she went out to see what was going on, she saw someone running down the hallway. Someone had urinated in her L.L. Bean boots and her sneakers which were outside of her door.

11:43 p.m. Wood House: CSS found an unregistered event in progress. Officers actually found two separate parties happening in different areas of the house. The area was left a mess with several empty beer cans and Solo cups all over the floor and table.

Sunday 2-28-16

12:04 a.m. Sage Hall: A student was observed blowing marijuana smoke out his screen window. Officers entered Sage and were about to knock on his door when another student opened the door. The marijuana smell flooded the stairwell and hallway outside his room. The student admitted to smoking marijuana inside his room. CSS called WPD and issued a citation.

1:21 a.m. Paresky Center: CSS received a report of a student stealing food from Lee Snack Bar.  The identified student first denied taking the food and later admitted to the theft, arguing it was victimless crime. The student was banned from the Snack Bar for 30 days.