Ephs snag fifth at NCAA Regionals

March 2, 2016 by C.J. Levin, Contributing Writer

Co-captain Tim Garripoli ’16 placed third in the 165 lb. class at the NCAA Northeast Regional Tournament and qualified for nationals. Photo courtesy of Springfield College Sports Information.

In the NCAA Northeast Regional Tournament held at Springfield, wrestling (13-5, 3-0 in the NESCAC) finished with seven place winners, four of whom will continue their season at nationals. The Eph wrestlers fought hard for both days of the event and were rewarded with outstanding results.

“I was proud of our focus. The guys came in on a mission and they did a good job. The seniors have led us all year, and this weekend was no different. Everyone performed, and the four guys we have going forward are in position to really do some damage [at the NCAA Championships],” Head Coach Scott Honeker said.

Among those advancing to the NCAA Championships are co-captain Chris Chorzepa ’17, who placed first in the 184 lb. weight class and co-captain Jorge Lopez ’16, who earned second place this weekend at 157.

Chorzepa continued his excellent season by wrestling through the entire bracket as the top seed, defeating second-seeded Carlos Toribio in the final by a 9-2 de-cision. Lopez punched his ticket to nationals with a series of strong tilts, entering the bracket as the second seed and ultimately falling to the top seed by a 6-2 decision. Both wrestlers carried over strong momentum from the Saturday bouts to finish with a qualification for nationals.

Brendon Seyfried ’19 also placed in the top three for his weight class, qualifying for the championships with a victory over top-ranked Nick Wahba of Ithaca College in the semifinals before falling in a tight decision in the final.

The fourth Eph qualifier was Tim Garripoli ’16, who finished third in the 165 lb. class, defeating fifth-seeded opponent Justin Marsh in the third-place matchup. The Ephs finished fifth in the field of 15 New England and three New York State teams.

As Seyfried, Lopez, Garripoli and Chorzepa get some well deserved and much needed rest, they look to refocus their goals for the NCAA tournament.  The Ephs also posted strong showings from a few regional placewinners, including co-captain Anthony Brooks ’16, Martin Strenk ’17 and Matt Morris ’19.

Brooks punctuated his outstanding collegiate career with a strong sixth-place finish in the 197 lb. class. With seven wrestlers on the podium, this year’s showing marks Williams wrestling’s best  ever finish at the NCAA Northeast Regional Tournament.

On Feb. 20, seven members of the team traveled to Roger Williams to compete in the New England Futures Tournament. Gabe Corrochano ’17 at 141 and Sebastian Dziadkiewicz ’19 at 197 came home with third-place honors.

In a tournament meant to showcase future team talent and give younger wrestlers a chance to compete in the postseason matches, several team members turned in strong performances.

On March 11-12, the four qualifying Eph team members travel to Cedar Rapids, Iowa for the NCAA Championships.