Ephs set records at All-New Englands

March 2, 2016 by Kate Kennedy

Maggie Peard ’17, Anna Harleen ’18, Stella Worters ’18 and Yvonne Bungei ’17 set a school record. Photo courtesy of Sports Information.

A core contingent of women’s track and field traveled to Boston University last Saturday to chase after national qualifying marks at the All-New England Championships.

Many who traveled met success, but some members of the team took the meet off after a long indoor season and rested this weekend before gearing up for the coming outdoor season.

“This meet was a great opportunity for the team to compete against some strong Div. I competition and get some excellent marks,” co-captain Kathryn McNaughton ’16 said. “There were a lot of personal records and season bests, including a new school record. For some, it was a great way to end the indoor season on a high note, and for others it was an opportunity to continue to build towards next weekend and the national championship meet.”

One of the most successful races was the 4×800 relay with Maggie Peard ’17, Yvonne Bungei ’17, Stella Worters ’18 and Anna Harleen ’18. This relay team set a new school record at the meet with a time of 9:10.58.

In individual events, Laney Teaford ’17 and Katie Spence ’18 both set personal records in the open 800 meter. Teaford finished in 2:13.40 and Spence raced in a speedy time of 2:15.00.

Lacey Serletti ’16, Grace Weatherall ’16 and Chloe Rogers ’17 all performed season bests. Weatherall ran the 60-meter hurdles in 9.02, in addition to jumping 5.38 meters in the long jump, and Serletti finished the 3k in 9:59.80. Rogers jumped 11.67 meters in the triple jump.

Rounding out the day’s strong performances, Candice Dyce ’17 competed in the long and triple jump and achieved 5.16 meters and 11.26 meters, respectively.

“We are happy with the efforts this weekend,” Head Coach Nate Hoey said. “There was a high level of execution in a very competitive environment. It was great to see all the season and personal bests. We are excited moving forward towards NCAAs.”

Last weekend, the team traveled to MIT to compete in the Div. III New England Championship and was able to earn second place out of over 50 competing teams. There, the distance medley relay team also excelled.

The Ephs had a strong presence in the 1000 meter, 3k and 5k. Emily Sundquist ’18 ran an impressive time of 17:38.22 in the 5k, ultimately coming in second. Williams also had two top-eight finishers in the 3k: Serletti earned third place in 10:10.94, and Emma Zehner ’17 sprinted across the line to finish in fifth.

The women also earned points in the sprinting events. Kennedy Green  ’19, Lydia Graham ’18, Kayley McGonagle ’18 and co-captain Kelsey Adamson ’16 ran in the 4×200 relay, finishing in sixth place with a scorching time of 11.47.31.

Weatherall scored in two events, finishing in third in the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 9.15 and setting the new school record of 7.98 seconds with her eighth-place finish in the 60 meters. Denver Williams ’19 rounded out the women’s presence in the sprinting events, posting an eighth-place finish in the 400 meters for the Ephs.

Next up, the team looks forward to the ECAC Championship meet and NCAA Championships at Grinnell in two weeks. After these meets, women’s track and field will begin to transition to its outdoor season.