Armed man robs Cole Ave. store

March 2, 2016 by Ryan Kelley, News Editor

On Saturday at 8:22 p.m., a masked individual entered the Spirit Shop at 280 Cole Avenue, according to the Williamstown Police Department (WPD). The individual pulled out a handgun and demanded that the clerk open the cash register before he fled from the scene without any merchandise or money.

Two hours later at 10:20 p.m., a similar incident occurred at the Stewarts Shop convenience store in Pownal, Vt., a quarter-mile north of the state line. In this case, the individual entered with a black handgun and demanded money from the store employees. The individual left with an undisclosed amount of money.

No store personnel were injured in either incident.

WPD was assisted by Massachusetts State Police, North Adams Police and K-9 units from North Adams and Dalton.

The report issued by the WPD described the suspect as a thin, white male, six feet tall, in his mid- 30s and wearing a dark gray hooded sweatshirt, black gloves, dark cargo pants and a camouflage hat and mask that covered the majority of his face.

As part of emergency protocol at the College, students, faculty and staff all received an automated email on Saturday night at 9:30 p.m. encouraging people to avoid Cole Avenue and use caution on campus.

Police are asking anyone with information about either incident to call Sgt. Scot McGowan of the WPD at 413-458-5733.