Women’s track and field sprints to second

February 24, 2016 by Kate Kennedy

The women’s track and field team’s indoor season culminated in a second place finish at the Div. III New England Championships held last weekend at Middlebury College. The meet was attended by more than 50 teams from around the region.

Williams fought hard over the course of the meet’s two days to  finish with 93.83 points overall, losing only to MIT whose 123.5 points paced the competition. The women’s success was the result of a balanced contribution by the jumpers, throwers, sprinters and distance runners, many of whom achieved personal bests.

Victoria Kingham ’18 went on to secure a third-place finish in the mile with a personal best time of 4:58.8 and then an eighth-place finish in the 800 meter, crossing the line in 2:19.24. Katie Spence ’18 also put forth a strong performance, running a personal best of 1:36.54 to earn second place in the 600 meter.

The Ephs had a strong presence 1000 meter, 3k and 5k. Emily Sundquist ’18 ran an impressive time of 17:38.22 in the 5k, ultimately coming in second. Williams also had two top-eight finishers in the 3k: Lacey Serletti ’16 earned third place in 10:10.94, and Emma Zehner ’17 sprinted across the line to finish in fifth.

The women also earned points in the sprinting events. Kennedy Green  ’19, Lydia Graham ’18, Kayley McGonagle ’18 and co-captain Kelsey Adamson ’16 ran in the 4×200 relay, finishing in sixth place with a scorching time of 11.47.31.

Co-captain Grace Weatherall ’16 scored in two events, finishing in third in the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 9.15 and setting the new school record of 7.98 seconds with her eighth-place finish in the 60 meters. Denver Williams ’19 rounded out the women’s presence in the sprinting events, posting an eighth-place finish in the 400 meters for the Ephs.

Williams came back later on to run in the 4×400 relay,  accompanied by McGonagle, Caity Ubl ’19 and Anna May Fitch ’19. Following this event, the 4×800 relay team of  Spence, Yvonne Bungei ’17, Maggie Peard ’17 and Anna Harleen ’18, sprinted to a strong time of 9:39.04.

The Ephs also scored points in the long and triple jump and high and pole vault events.

Chloe Rogers ’17 finished in second in the high jump with a jump of 5 ft. 6 in., after which she went straight to the triple jump to secure fifth place with a jump of 11.17 meters. Candice Dyce ’17 also had a strong showing in the triple jump, finishing in fourth with a soaring jump of 11.18 meters.

In the long jump, Dyce jumped 5.18 meters and finished in seventh, and Weatherall also placed, jumping 5.33 meters for fifth. At the pole vault mat, Maggie Murphy ’19 vaulted 3.2 meters, tying for eighth place.

“Although not the end result we were striving for, I am very proud of our team,” Head Coach Nate Hoey said. “We kept fighting and competing all the way to the last event.”

“We bounced back from adversity and kept fueling each other with positive energy and kept fighting and competing through every single event to the very end. We are excited for the rest of the season.”

Overall, the women displayed  the outstanding depth of their team. Going forward, the plethora of strong individual performances bode well for the upcoming postseason meets and the fast-approaching outdoor season. The women look forward to All-New Englands at Boston University next weekend.