Spring Street Blues

February 24, 2016 by Ryan Kelley, News Editor and Neena Patel, News Editor

Monday 2-15-16

9:08 a m. Facilities: An officer responded to a report from a Facilities manager that a college van had sustained severe body damage to the front end, as well as the driver and passenger sides, of the vehicle. The manager also reported that the passenger side of a second vehicle was damaged.

Tuesday 2-16-16

1:02 p.m. Weston Field: Officers responded to the area near the Gargoyle Gate regarding a report that one of the large evergreen trees had split and was in danger of falling. Campus Safety and Security (CSS) found the tree leaning up against another tree. Officers notified Williamstown Police Department (WPD) and facilities. WPD closed Latham St. to traffic. CSS officers guided foot traffic and vehicles exiting the lot. Facilities began to coordinate with an outside contractor in order to safely drop the tree and remove it to relieve the area of danger. The tree eventually fell with the continued strong wind gusts. There were no reported injuries.

2:02 p.m. Brooks Parking Lot: CSS received a report from a Facilities manager that a tree had fallen on some cars in the lot. A tree limb and broken branches had struck two student vehicles. WPD and Facilities responded to clean the area. CSS contacted students, took photos and gathered information for documents.

4:00 p.m. Morgan Hall: Officers received a report of a leak in the ceiling. The leak was dripping about every second. The student explained that the leak had happened before and that Facilities came to check it and was told a work order was put in to address the leak further. The officer placed a bucket under the leak for the night, but as it was also dripping onto an electrical outlet, requested that dispatch contact the electrical tradesman to check the outlet.

5:15pm Gladden House: An officer responded to a report of a leak in the ceiling. This room belongs to a student who had reported this leak for the third time.

Wednesday 2-17-16

12:33 a.m. West College: Officers received a report that the dorm had a very strong odor of marijuana. The odor dissipated, making it impossible to determine from where it originated.

6:24 p.m. Sawyer Library: Officers responded to an alarm from the Information and Technology Equipment Loan Center. The alarm was unfounded, and the panel indicated that the room was still armed and there had been no alarm. 

11:45 p.m. Mark Hopkins House: Officers met with a student who reported that while at Williams Ultimate Frisbee Organization practice at the Towne Field House that evening he had collided with another student. He reported that he had hit his head, was not experiencing any concussion symptoms, but would like to have the laceration that he discovered on the back of his head checked. The student had a half-inch laceration on the back of his head that was still bleeding even though the injury that had occurred well over an hour ago. The Village Non-Emergency Transport Service was called for transport to Berkshire Medical Center (BMC) North.

Thursday 2-18-16

12:35 a.m. Williams Hall: Officers detected an odor of marijuana. Officers proceeded to walk the remainder of the entries, verifying that the smell was contained to one entry only. Officers entered, and even in the presence of the strong odor, all present denied smoking.

Friday 2-19-16

11:45 a.m. Lansing Chapman Rink: Dispatch received a report that a student was involved in a biking accident on the east side of the Rink. The caller stated that the student had been unconscious but was now awake. An officer dispatched and called 911 for a Village Ambulance response. A student was found lying on the ground next to a pole light that had been sheared off at the bottom. The pole light was lying on the ground and next to the base of the pole light a student was being attended to by a couple of Facilities staff members. Witnesses reported that the student was unconscious for a minute or two. Village Ambulance placed the student on to a backboard and transported him to BMC in Pittsfield. 

Saturday 2-20-16

10:16 a.m. Peru, V.t.: A dean received an email report from a student that he was involved in a motor vehicle accident in the vicinity of Peru, V.t. with a college owned or rented vehicle. The report stated that there were four passengers also in the vehicle that had been transported for medical care.

7:27 p.m. Sewell House: An officer responded to a tip-line submission of a Zip Car parked in the handicap parking space on the north side of Sewall House without a handicap placard. Upon ar-rival, CSS found no car in the space.

11:07 p.m. Sage Hall: An officer observed a student punch a door, run out the side door and almost fall down the stairs on the northeast side of Paresky Center. The officer called Village Am-bulance to evaluate the student.

11:33 p.m. Agard House: Officers entered the building on its north side, walked through the door into the first floor and detected a very strong marijuana odor from one end of the hallway to the other.

11:45 p.m. Chadbourne House: Dispatch reported receiving unusual card access activity at Chadbourne House. Officers arrived and observed a large amount of students on both the first and second floor. There were approximately 60-70 students on the second floor and an additional 60-70 students throughout the first floor. 

11:50 p.m. Route 2: An officer radioed for another officer to meet him on the corner of Southworth St. and Route 2. CSS observed two students attempting to remove the Sherman House Resident Parking sign at the entrance to the driveway.

Sunday 2-21-16

12:31 a.m. Williams Hall: While doing a walk through of Williams Hall, Officers found that all of the furniture had been knocked over in the basement.

12:45 a.m. Carter House: Dispatch received a report of a student who was sick and heavily intoxicated. Dispatch activated 911. The student was not responsive to any verbal stimuli at first, but did come around after a few minutes and respond. Village Ambulance personnel arrived and evaluated. After a few minutes they felt comfortable leaving the student with a responsible party for the night and did not transport.