Women’s ice splits back-to-back games

February 17, 2016 by Hannah Atkinson, Contributing Writer

Women’s ice hockey (12-9-1, 8-6 in the NESCAC) lost to out-of-conference opponent Oswego 3-1 on Saturday afternoon after tying to the same team 3-3 on Friday. Lakers’ Alli Ullrich scored the game-winning power play goal for Oswego on Saturday and the game-tying goal on Friday.

On Saturday, the women earned a penalty kill at 7:24, showing strong defensive play and clearing the puck several times. The Ephs kept offensive pressure on the Lakers and, at 16:21, Emily Krueger ’17 scored a power play goal to go up 1-0 for the Ephs. Tri-captain Talia Simon ’16 ripped a shot from the point that went wide, but Alex Lovaas ’18 picked up the puck rebound in front of the Oswego net and got the puck to Krueger for Williams’ second goal. This marked Krueger’s fifth goal of the season.

Oswego responded with a goal less than a minute later to tie the game up 1-1. The women went on the power play again at 17:34 but failed to convert with the one-man advantage, leaving the score tied at 1-1.

Going into the second period, Williams came out firing but Oswego goalie Tori Trovato stayed big in net to hold off the women. Five minutes into the period, Krueger beat both Lakers defenders off a zone entry and fired a top shelf shot that hit the cross bar and rebounded inside the crease. Trovato fell on the puck before Kruger got a second shot.

Oswego went on the power play at 14:45 and captured its second goal of the game. The team gained more confidence with its  lead over the Ephs and controlled play in the offensive zone for the rest of the period.

Going on the power play at 3:11 in the final period, the Lakers put offensive pressure on the Ephs. Williams earned the penalty kill, but Oswego kept control of the puck after the power play and went up 3-1 at 6:07 in the final frame.

Both teams received penalties within the last six minutes of play but neither were able to convert to a goal. With two minutes left in the game, Williams pulled its goalie, but was unable to score with the one-man advantage.

On Friday, the Ephs tied with the Lakers. The Lakers took the lead early with a wrap-around goal 40 seconds into the first period. However, the Ephs were quick to respond with a goal by tri-captain Eliza Noyes ’16 at 2:58.

Although the Lakers carried their power play over into the second frame, they were unable to get past the Ephs, who hold the second best penalty kill in the nation at 94 percent.

Play went back and forth for the remainder of the period and through overtime, with Eph goalie Margaret Draper ’17 staying tough between the pipes.

“Although we finished the weekend with a tie and a loss, there are a lot of things we can learn from to improve on heading in to our last regular season game,” co-captain Hanna Beattie ’16 said.

Looking ahead, the Ephs will face off against NESCAC opponent Middlebury this Friday at Lansing Chapman Rink at 7 p.m. and again on Saturday at  7 p.m at Middlebury for another double-header weekend.

From there, the Ephs will begin post-season play against conference opponents.