2:00 p.m. Thompson Chapel: A fire alarm went off at Thompson Chapel. Officers responded and found that students cooking in the kitchen had set off a smoke detector. The system was cleared and reset.
11:10 p.m. Williamstown Police Department (WPD): Officers heard on the police scanner that WPD was responding to a motor vehicle accident on Park St. WPD reported that a student-driven vehicle had slid off the road and hit a telephone pole. The student was not injured, but the vehicle sustained front-end damage and was towed from the scene. The student was given a warning for excessive speed given the road conditions.
11:16 p.m. Doughty House: Someone reported smelling gas at Doughty House. Officers determined that the gas odor was coming from a student’s vehicle, and could not find any gas leaking from it. Officers contacted the on-call Safety and Environmental (S&E) compliance staff person, who asked the student move the vehicle away from the building.
12:31 a.m. ’82 Grill: Officers responded to a report that a group of students at the ’82 Grill was becoming too rowdy, using foul language and conversing at an excessive noise level. Officer spoke with the students and asked them to be mindful of their language. The students respectfully apologized and said they will be more cautious going forward.
5:30 p.m. Armstrong Hall: Officers were asked to do a welfare check on a student who had been sick in the bathroom. The student refused transport to the Health Center and said he would just like to sleep. The on-call custodian was contacted for a cleanup of the bathroom.
7:30 p.m. Hopkins Observatory: An intrusion alarm went off at the Hopkins Observatory. Officers found a student inside the observatory doing work. He said that his code didn’t unarm the building.
9:10 p.m. Chandler Gym: Officers met with a student and her visiting sister about a report that someone has accidentally taken a pair of boots. The boots were in the first-floor women’s locker room. The missing boots had been replaced by another pair that was similar but not the same.
9:18 p.m. Chandler Gym: Officers responded to an intrusion alarm at the Chandler Gym. They determined that the southwest exterior door leading into Canterbury Alley had been opened by someone, but no one remained in the area.
1:49 a.m. West College: Officers received a noise complaint for a room on the second floor and found music coming from an empty room. The resident came back to his room shortly after Officers arrived and apologized for the excessively loud music. He said that he had forgotten to turn it off when he went outside to smoke with his friends.
10:50 a.m. Gladden House: A student in Gladden House called dispatch requesting transport to the Health Center and was informed that it does not open until 1 p.m. on Saturdays. The student reported he believed he might have food poisoning. An officer was sent to meet with the student and transport to the Northern Berkshire Campus of Berkshire Medical Center if needed. The student chose to phone the on-call physician through the Health Center phone service.
8:00 a.m. Park St.: A student reported that there was no water in the kitchen sink. Officer confirmed that there was no water and said that the pipes were frozen. Dispatch contacted the on-call mechanical tradesman and a work order was filled out.
8:17 a.m. Sherman House: Officer responded to A concern about a lack of hot water. Officer verified there was not hot water in the apartment and asked the on-call mechanical tradesman to check on Sherman House.
10:13 a.m. Sawyer Library: A panic alarm was set off at Sawyer Library. Officers responded and determined that the alarm had been caused by a student worker who had accidentally activated it.
2:19 p.m. Sawyer Library: Someone reported a ceiling leak in Sawyer Library. Officers determined that the leak appeared to be coming from an access panel in the ceiling. Dispatch notified the on-call mechanical tradesman and buckets were placed under the leak.
4:30 p.m. Fayerweather Hall: A student in Fayerweather Hall came to Campus Safety and Security (CSS) to report her stolen bicycle. A stolen article report was completed and faxed to WPD.
6:30 p.m. Lansing Chapman Rink: A report that some floor drains had water coming out of them. An officer found water coming from the floor drains of the visiting team’s locker room. The on-call mechanical tradesman responded to address the issue.
6:41 p.m. Parsons House: A student reported that no hot water was coming out of the faucet, even after it was turned on. The cold water was working, however. The on-call mechanical tradesman, who was coming to campus for a separate issue, also checked out Parsons.
7:20 p.m. Prospect House: A student reported that a radiator was not working. The officer who responded verified that the radiator was warm to the touch but not hot. Officers placed a work order to have the thermostat checked in the morning.
9:00 p.m. Garfield House: A student reported that the first floor was extremely cold. Officer took a temperature of 57 degrees in the living room and found that the heaters were warm to the touch. Dispatch asked the on-call mechanical tradesman to also check out the building before leaving campus.