Women’s ice hockey triumphs in bounce back 4-0 win

February 10, 2016 by Hannah Atkinson, Contributing Writer

Natalie Bernstein ’16 notched one shot against Trinity. Photo courtesy of Sports Information.

Women’s hockey (12-8-0, 8-6-0 in the NESCAC) secured a decisive victory on Saturday, beating Trinity 4-0, following a 4-2 defeat on Friday.Annie Rush ’19 scored the go-ahead goal at 9:37 in the second period, earning her first collegiate goal. Goalie Christina Cleroux ’18 made a total of 22 saves this afternoon, earning her third shut-out of the season.

The Ephs came out ready to fight with tri-captain Hanna Beattie ’17 taking a shot from the point within the first minute of play. Chelsey Stevenson ’17 continued to put pressure on Trinity’s goalie, carrying the puck up the boards before rifling a backhand shot, forcing a save.

The women kept control of the puck on the power play starting at 9:57, but Trinity goalie Sydney Belinskas stayed big in net to hold off the women from scoring.

The Ephs killed two penalties, highlighting their strong defensive play, and improving upon their 94% penalty kill rate for the season. Play continued up and down the ice for the remainder of the period, with the Ephs outshooting the Bantams 11 to seven going into the second frame.

Building momentum after a penalty kill, the women took the lead 1-0 with a goal by Rush at 9:37. Caitlin Buckley ’17 passed the puck to tri-captain Eliza Noyes ’16, who skated around the Trinity net for a wrap around shot. Belinskas deflected Noyes’ shot out to Rush, who buried the puck for the goal.

The Ephs kept the pressure on the Bantams when tri-captain Talia Simon ’16 scored to go up 2-0. Noyes and Rush were fighting for the puck on the boards and got the puck to Simon. While Buckley screened the Trinity goalie, Simon took a shot from the point to score.

The Ephs continued their disciplined play in the third period. Kearan Burke ’18 showed great individual effort to score a short-handed goal at 5:37. Intercepting a Trinity pass, Burke beat both Trinity defenders and took a shot that Belinskas deflected. Chasing the rebound, Burke dove to take another shot, going full speed into the boards behind the Bantam net to score the goal.

The Ephs remained relentless for the last 15 minutes of play, displaying good speed chasing down pucks and creating offensive chances.

With three minutes to go, Alex Lovaas ’18 scored an empty netter, assisted by Emily Eide ’18 and Michaela Levine ’16, to bring the game to its final score of 4-0.

“We played a much more complete game on Saturday. The seniors stepped up by creating chances, scoring, assisting and providing the spark the team needed to win,” said Head Coach Meghan Gillis.

Regrettably, the Ephs lost to the Bantams on Friday night 4-2 at Lansing Chapman Rink, with Emma Tani scoring the game-winning goal at 7:21 in the third period.

First period opportunities created by Lovaas and Natalie Bernstein ’16 came to no avail, and Trinity came out with energy at the beginning of the second period to take the lead at 2:14. Caroline Howell scored off a low shot from the point to give her team a 1-0 lead.

Trinity continued to control play, going up 2-0 at 6:03 in the second frame.

The Ephs fought back after the Bantam goal, showing good defensive play on a power play at 8:34. Luckily, Noyes blocked a slap shot from the point to hold off the Bantams.

At the seven-minute mark, Tani scored a power play goal off a low shot from the point, assisted by Delaney Harrop to go up 3-0.

The Ephs continued to fight after the Bantam goal and, just over a minute later, Levine scored an unassisted goal after rushing the net.

Halfway through the period, Cleroux made her second breakaway save of the night, deflecting a low shot to the corner. Playing five on five, Sara Lehman ’17 scored after a scramble in front of the Bantams net, assisted by Levine to make the score 4-2, the final result of the match

On Jan. 30, Williams suffered a tough 4-1 defeat at home against Amherst, with the visitors scoring three decisive goals in the third period. The Ephs lone score came from Abby Brustad ’19, who slammed home a rebound to tie the game 1-1 in the second period. The night before, the team was trounced at Amherst by a score of 5-0. Amherst dominated the contest, scoring four first-period goals to quickly put the game out of reach.

The women face off against Oswego State away next Friday with the puck dropping at 7 p.m.