Women’s squash secures seventh consecutive win

January 27, 2016 by Josie Wexler, Staff Writer

Women’s squash (9-5, 5-0 in the NESCAC) faced conference opponent Middlebury this past Saturday, riding to a 7-2 victory over their northern opponent.

Nicole Friedman ’18, who led the Ephs in the No. 1 position, defeated her opponent easily, winning in three games. Hayley Parsons ’18, No. 2 for the Ephs, also won her match with a score of 3-1. In the No. 3 position, co-captain Nichole Feshbach ’16 had an even closer match but went on to win 3-2. Regrettably, Ananya Mahalingam-Dhingra ’18 could not find the same success at the No. 4 position, eventually losing to her Panther opponent 3-1.

Esther Baek ’19, who played in the No. 5 position for the Ephs, also lost 3-1. In the No. 6 position, Ellen Coombe ’17 won easily at the No. 6 position, defeating her opponent 3-0. After a competitive five set match, co-captain Lily Grant ’16, in the No. 7 position, emerged victorious 3-2. Charlotte Walsh ’17 handily defeated her opponent in a quick three set match 3-0 at the No. 8 position, and Caroline Hogan ’18, competing No. 9 for the Ephs, also won in three sets.

“We had an important match against Middleburt yesterday, and there were a lot of close matches but everyone played well and we won 7-2,” Grant said. “This was an exciting and well deserved result, and we look forward to keeping up momentum with another busy weekend next week when we play Yale and Stanford in addition to Little Threes against Wesleyan and Amherst.”

The weekend of Jan. 16-17 was also strong for the women when they faced George Washington and Franklin & Marshall. Williams defeated George Washington which, at the time, was ranked No. 10 nationally. The Ephs, ranked No. 13, emerged victorious with a final score of 7-2. Williams also defeated Franklin & Marshall, ranked No. 15 in the country, in a close match, prevailing 5-4. Friedman won the crucial point for the Ephs at No. 1 while Grant earned NESCAC Women’s Squash Player of the Week for her wins over the weekend.

Earlier on, the Ephs defeated both Colby and Bowdoin 9-0 on Jan 10th. The Ephs had a closer match against Bates on Jan 9, but still defeated the Bobcats 6-3.

The Ephs also dominated over the Hamilton Continentals on Jan. 7, toppling the conference opponent 9-0.

Going forward, the team has a number of important matches.  On Saturday, Williams faces off against Yale and Stanford at 2:30 p.m. and 6:00 p.m., respectively. The team looks forward to and is prepping for NESCAC Championships in early Feb. and Nationals later in the month.