Athletes of the Week: Alex Lovaas ’18 and Eli Hoenig ’17

January 27, 2016 by Reed Jenkins, Sports Editor

Alex Lovaas  ’18
Women’s Ice Hockey (Wayzata, Minn.)

“Lovaas had a great week for us and I am happy that she was recognized by the league. She has been working hard at both ends of the ice and offensively her success has come by going hard to the net to win battles in front.” – Kathryn Gillis, Head Coach

Lovaas scored a goal in each of the Ephs’ three victories last week, including a pivotal sweep over conference foe Conn College that solidified Williams’ position in the standings. In the second game against the Camels, Lovaas’ second-period goal put the Ephs out in front, 1-0, as they held on for a 2-1 win. Earlier in the week, her goal early in the third period led to a 2-1 Eph come-from-behind win over Manhattanville. Lovaas is currently second on the team in goals and third on the team in scoring with nine points (5 goals, 4 assists).

Eli Hoenig ’17
Nordic Skiing (Sudbury, Mass.)

“Eli is skiing very fast right now, and he had an outstanding race this past Saturday. He skied confidently and technically very well throughout the race and set himself up well for a podium finish. Eli has a goal of winning a carnival race here at Williams. It’s never been done by a male skier here, but if things go well it is a very realistic goal.” – Jason Lemieux ’01 , Head Coach

At the Colby Carnival, Hoenig skied to third in the 15k classic mass start, the first podium by an Eph skier for five years. Hoenig, along with Jack Schrup ‘18, also finished in sixth in the team skate sprint with a time of 17:33.7.