Survey assesses student views on Wednesday night classes

December 9, 2015 by Michael Green, News Editor

An online survey of the proposed changes to the Division of the Day, conducted by the Record last week, indicated that a majority of students support experimentation with Wednesday night classes.

In answering the question of whether students approved of the experiment, 45.1 percent said they did, 26.8 percent said they did not and 28.1 percent said they were unsure.

The survey also assessed whether students preferred classes in the newly proposed time slots or in one of the time slots already offered. When deciding between two equally preferable classes, 64.1 percent students indicated they would want to take a class in an already offered time slot, 22.2 percent said they would want to take a class in one of the proposed time slots, while 13.7 percent said they had no preference.

The survey also determined whether students were actually willing to take classes in one of the new time slots. If they could only take a highly preferable class in one of the new time slots, 53.6 percent of students said they would take the class, 22.9 percent of students said they would not take the class, and 23.5 percent of students said they were unsure.

The survey also asked students if they had extracurricular commitments during the new time slots. Between 7 p.m. and 8:15 p.m. on Wednesdays, 90 students, or 59 percent, indicated they had some kind of commitment, while between 8:25 p.m. and 9:40 p.m., 69 students, or 45 percent, indicated they had some kind of commitment. 

The Record sent out the poll via email at 8 p.m. last Wednesday to 500 students randomly selected from the 2178 listed in the first-year facebooks for the classes of 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019. When the poll was closed at 9 p.m. on Sunday, 153 students, or 31 percent of those it was sent to, had responded, giving the poll a confidence interval of 7.72 percent, for a 95 percent level of confidence.The class breakdown of the poll was relatively even, with 32 voters from the class of 2019, 37 from 2018, 42 from 2017 and 42 from 2016. The gender breakdown of the poll was as follows: 61 voters listed themselves as male, 90 voters listed themselves as female, and two voters listed themselves as other.