Men’s hockey downs two NESCAC rivals

December 9, 2015 by usercreator

On Saturday, men’s ice hockey (5-1, 4-0 in the NESCAC) took on Conn. College in New London, Conn., defeating its opponent 3-1 in a tight game. C.J. Shugart ’18 got the Ephs on the board first, midway through the third period, and was then backed up by Michael Lata ’19 and David Italiano ’18 to secure a victory and a continued undefeated conference record for the team

In the net for the Ephs was Michael Pinios ’19, coming into the match with a .968 save percentage and making 17 saves in the game.

The first two periods of the contest were scoreless with all four goals of the game occurring in the third period. The first period revealed Williams’ dominance on the shot count, with totals after 20 minutes coming in at 19 to 2. The second period shot count was reversed, with the advantage going to Conn. College 11 to 6 for two period totals of 25 to 13 in favor of the men.

In the first period, the two teams were called for a penalty apiece. Roberto Cellini ’19 went to the box on account of slashing at 3:37, while Conn. College’s Vincent Ditmore was called for interference at 18:23.

In the second period, the Ephs were called for two penalties, Italiano for tripping at 1:27 and Greg Zaffino ’17 for roughing at 7:46, while the Camels were unfortunately called for one.

In the third period, the Ephs got on the board at 7:42 when Shugart racked up his third goal of the season by firing one past the Conn. College goalie to bring the game to 1-0 in favor of the Ephs. The assist was from Italiano.

The Camels responded to tie the game at 12:45 when Tim Dipretoro got a shot past Pinios assisted by teammates Joe Giordano and Sebastian Meltzer, bringing the game to a nerve-wracking tie at a score of 1-1.

Williams, however, came back to claim the lead shortly thereafter. At 12:58, Lata got on the board off of an accurate shot that hit the post and went in; he was assisted on the play by Italiano. This marked Lata’s first goal as an Eph and Italiano’s fourth assist on the year, moving the score to 2-1 in favor of the Ephs.

The Ephs secured their victory at 16:42 of the third period, bringing the game to its final score of 3-1. The men had a breakout play through the neutral zone as Italiano and Tyler Young ’17 had a two-on-one opportunity. Italiano received a pass from Young and fired one past the Conn. College netminder. Young was awarded the assist on the play.

The shot count rounded out at 31-23 in favor of the Ephs, after third period totals came in at 10-6 for the Camels.

On Friday, the men emerged victorious against Tufts by a final score of 2-0. Young and George Hunkele ’17 each scored one goal in the bout. Earlier this season, the men also defeated Johnson and Wales 5-1  on Nov. 29 and trumped conference rivals Colby on Nov. 22 and Bowdoin on Nov. 21 with final scores of 1-0 and 4-1, respectively. The men’s sole loss came at the hands of SUNY Geneseo, falling 3-0 on Nov. 28.

The team is excited by its recent success and hopes for even stronger results in the future. “After completing our first road trip of the year, it was nice earning four points with NESCAC wins versus Tufts and Conn. College,” Head Coach Bill Kangas said. “On Saurday against Conn College, we needed a solid third period team effort to secure the win. I know the team is looking forward to a great week of practice as we get ready for another NESCAC road trip, with games versus Amherst and Hamilton.”

The men will take on Amherst away this Friday at 7:30 p.m. The men then have another away game at Hamilton on Saturday.