Athletes of the Week: 12.9.15

December 9, 2015 by Jack Greenberg, Sports Editor and Haley Mahar, Sports Editor

Colin Cotton ’16

Colin Cotton ’16
Men’s track and field (Franklin Lakes, N.J.)

“Admittedly, the most impressive part of Colin’s race this weekend didn’t happen on Saturday. It was what happened for the three months leading up to it. Not being permitted to run with his teammates, Colin’s dedication and focus in his solitary training took incredible grit. .”

– Ethan Barron, Head Coach

Cotton was fast off the line, beginning his season strong last weekend by taking first place in the 5k at the Smith Invitational Winter Classic. Cotton completed the race in 14:17, establishing a new school record by 10 seconds. Cotton won this particular race by a margin of five seconds over teammate Bijan Mazaheri ’16. Cotton is coming off a successful season last year and will look to continue his success in the weeks to come.

Kristina Alvarado ’19

Kristina Alvarado ’19

Women’s soccer (Murietta, Calif.)

Even as a first-year, [Kristina] embodies all that it means to be a Williams women’s soccer player. Her play is imbued with passion, fight and fire along with a very clear sense of selflessness and sense of team purpose.

– Micheleyne Pinard, Head Coach

Alvarado’s unbelievable work ethic and her determination on the field were critical to the success of the women’s soccer team this past weekend in Kansas City, Miss. Not only did Alvarado score the lone goal that sealed the Div. III National Championship for the women, but she also drew the foul that enabled the penalty kick that pushed the score over Centre to 2-1. As a first-year, Alvarado played in 18 games, scored five goals, garnered one assist and tallied 11 points this season.