Athletes of the Fall

December 9, 2015 by Jack Greenberg, Sports Editor and Haley Mahar, Sports Editor

Bijan Mazaheri ’16

Bijan Mazaheri ’16
Men’s cross country (Wellesley, Mass.)

Mazaheri finished his season by speeding to third place in the National Championship with his sensational time of 24:21 in the 8k race. Additionally, Mazaheri maintained an impressive record of post-season success with silver medal performances at both the NESCAC Championship as well as ECACs. Mazaheri goes into each meet with the discipline to run his own race rather than dash off the line too expeditiously. Other impressive performances this season include finishing second at the Little Three Championship.

Austin Lommen ’16

Austin Lommen ’16
Football (Minneapolis, Minn.)

One of the captains and quarterbacks for football, Lommen was an important presence on the field for the men this fall. In just his second season at the College after transferring from Div. I Boston College, Lommen exemplified what wearing the purple and gold on the field ought to mean. Lommen set the school record for total completions in a single season with 187, breaking the previous 11-year old record of 167, as well as the school record for pass attempts in a single season at 313, crushing the old record from 2008 of 272. His legacy at the College will certainly endure.

Mai Mitsuyama ’16

Mai Mitsuyama ’16
Women’s soccer (Natick, Mass.)

A co-captain of the women’s soccer team, Mitsuyama led her squad to a Div. III National Championship this fall, the first ever for the women’s soccer program. Mitsuyama herself was a force in the midfield, constantly orchestrating fluid movement of the ball and pushing the offense forward while keeping the defense strong. Mitsuyama started in 23 games for the Ephs this season, tallying four points off of two goals. At the culmination of her season, Mitsuyama was named First-Team All-American as well as NSCAA First Team All-New England. Mitsuyama was also named to the All-Tournament team for her success at the NCAA Div. III Tournament.

Hannah Cole ’17

Hannah Cole ’17
Women’s cross country (Honeoye, N.Y.)

Cole consistently ran amongst the top runners in New England for the entirety of her fall season, ultimately taking fourth place in the Div. III National Championship meet to help the Ephs earn their Div. III title. Cole’s finish of 21:30.3 was not far behind the leader and won the highly efficient runner her All-American honors. The junior sensation additionally earned a silver medal for her commanding performance at NCAA Div. III Regionals on Nov. 14. Much is to come from the tri-season athlete for both the remainder of this year and in her senior year.