Football succumbs to Amherst 17-7

November 18, 2015 by Eva Fourakis, Sports Editor

Co-captain and quarterback Austin Lommen ’16 broke two school records in the men’s game against Amherst. Photo Courtesy of Sports Info

Football (2-6) suffered a tough loss in its Homecoming matchup against archrival Amherst at Farley-Lamb field on Saturday, falling 17-7.

After a scoreless first quarter, the Jeffs got the scoring started with 8:46 remaining in the first half on a seven-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Reece Foy to receiver Jackson McGonagle, giving the Jeffs a 7-0 lead.

The Jeffs kept the Ephs scoreless going into halftime, with linebacker Tom Kleyn intercepting a pass from co-captain and quarterback Austin Lommen ’16 deep in Jeff territory.

Amherst extended its lead to 10-0 with a 23-yard field goal by kicker Charlie Wall on the Jeffs’ first possession of the second half.

The Jeffs would score again on a three-yard touchdown run by running back Kenny Akindra with 1:49 left in the third quarter to bring the score to 17-0.

Williams got on the board with a six-yard touchdown run by running back Noah Sorrento ’19 to cut the Amherst lead to 10, bringing the score to 17-7.

The Ephs held strong on their goal line and forced a turnover on downs with 2:08 remaining in the game to keep the score at 17-7.

On the ensuing Williams drive, an interception in the end zone by Amherst defensive back Jaymie Spears sealed the game and a perfect 8-0 season for Amherst.

The Jeffs rushed the ball effectively as Kenny Akindra accounted for 91 of his team’s 202 total yards on the ground. Additionally, the Jeffs finished the day with 143 yards through the air while the Ephs rushed for 86 total yards and passed for 208 yards.

Elijah Eaton ’16 led the Eph defense with 13 tackles, nine of which were solo while Jack Drew had eight tackles, including five solos, to lead the Jeffs.

The win sealed the NESCAC and Little Three championships for Amherst and brings its win streak to 19 and its win streak over Williams to five.

This game concluded the season for the Ephs, who finished at a record of 2-6. Lommen broke two school records on the day after having already set the school single-game completions record with 33 against Tufts. Lommen set a new Williams single-season record for completions with 187, breaking the previous record of 167 set by Joe Reardon ’05 . He also set the Williams single-season record for pass attempts with 313, which was previously set at 272 by Pat Lucey ’09.

The team is dissapointed to end it season on a loss but is satisfied with its dedication to the sport. “We are disappointed with the season and the way it ended,” Head Coach Aaron Kelton said. “The seniors are proud men and wanted to go out with a win.They have played tough all season and they are special people. I will always thank them for their dedication to Williams College and the Eph football program.”

The Ephs graduate Lommen, Eaton, Darrias Sime ’16, Mark Pomella ’16, Graeme Black ’16, Dylan Barbour ’16, Jack Ryan ’16, Chris LeFlore ’16, Johnny Bond ’16, James O’Grady ’16, Vincent Molinari ’16, Matthew Jewett ’16, Steven Servius ’16, Charlie Grossnickle ’16, Tyler Fitzgerald ’16, Patrick McLaughlin ’16, Colin Brown ’16, Alex Way ’16 and co-captain James Howe ’16, all of whom concluded their collegiate football careers in the Amherst matchup and will graduate from the College in June.