Beef remains on menu

November 18, 2015 by Michael Green, News Editor

Despite student concerns that beef would not be served at Whitman’s Dining Hall for environmental reasons, dining services has made no changes to the menu.

Bob Volpi, director of dining services, noted that he “hadn’t heard” any formal complaints about a lack of beef in Whitman’s.

Dining services determines the menus for each dining hall far in advance of when each meal actually occurs. These menus work on a cycle and dining services bases them on previous meals that it offered. Dining services typically does not make changes to meals once they are scheduled.

“It would not be fair to those that prepare the food to change the menu on short notice,” Volpi said.

Additionally, no differences in spending on beef have been made. Availability is the main factor that dictates what dining services purchases.

Beef production requires 28 times more land, 11 times more water and five times more greenhouse gas emissions than the average of pork, poultry, dairy and egg production, according to a 2014 study by the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. In its meeting on Oct. 13, the Student Food Committee discussed a proposal to substitute some beef at dining halls with chicken or plant-based protein, but they have not yet determined the feasibility of this type of change. The Student Food Committee is a College Council committee that acts as a liason between dining services and the student body.