Men’s XC strides to second place

November 11, 2015 by Greg Ferland, Team Correspondent

Luke Hinz ’17 came in 51st with an impressive 28:00 performance at ECACs last Saturday. Photo Courtesy of Sports Information

Men’s cross country hosted the 2015 Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) Cross Country Championships on Saturday. The Ephs entered their second seven athletes in the ECAC race, giving the top seven racers a week to prepare for the NCAA Div. III Regional Championships this Saturday. Amherst took home the team title with 53 points, ahead of Williams’ score of 77. Middlebury took third place with 117 points.

Liam Simpson ’18 led the Ephs with a first-place finish in 26:24. Simpson was in the front pack from the start but waited to take the lead.

The next Williams runner to cross the finish line was Zeke Cohen ’19 who placed sixth overall in 26:58. Cohen and his teammate Simpson earned All-ECAC honors.

The Ephs’ third and fourth finishers were Zachary Dulabon ’18 who finished 20th in 27:26 and Alex Cowen ’18 who finished 21st in 27:28. Rounding out Williams’ team performance were Michael Byrns ’18 who took 29th in 27:41, Austin Anderson ’19 who placed 30th in 27:43 and Luke Hinz ’17 who finished 51st in 28:00.

“For the men, Cohen backed up Simpson, pushing throughout, moving into the top 10 and then running down several in the final stretch to take sixth and break the 27-minute barrier on our tough 8k course,” Head Coach Pete Farwell ’73 said of Cohen’s sixth-place finish.

The next challenge for the Ephs is the NCAA Div. III Regional Championships, hosted by Conn. College this Saturday.