Football falls to Little Three rival, prepares to face Amherst

November 11, 2015 by Matt Hogan, Staff Writer

Football (2-5) suffered another tough loss last weekend against Wesleyan, falling 27-7 to its Little Three rival.

Late in the first quarter, the Ephs’ defense stood tall, forcing a field-goal attempt after the Cardinals recovered a punt return fumble at the Williams 16-yard line. The Cardinals missed the field goal, keeping the game scoreless.

After the first quarter put no points on the board, the Cardinals went on to get the scoring started with a 21-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Mark Piccirillo to receiver Eric Meyreles, giving Wesleyan a 7-0 lead with 6:42 left in the first half. The Cardinals extended their lead before halftime to 14-0 with a five-yard touchdown run by running back Lou Stevens with just over a minute before the end of the half.

After the half, Wesleyan kept the scoring going as quarterback Gernald Hawkins scored from four yards out on a quarterback keeper with 8:02 remaining in the third quarter. A missed extra point kept the Wesleyan lead at 20-0.

The Ephs nearly scored late in the third quarter with a long run by running back Noah Sorrento ’19, but Cardinal defensive back Justin Sanchez forced a fumble before Sorrento reached the end zone, preserving the Cardinals 20-0 lead.

Wesleyan would go on to score once again with a one-yard touchdown run by running back Jaylen Berry, bringing its lead to 27-0.

The Ephs ended the Cardinals’ shutout bid and capped the scoring on the day with a three-yard touchdown pass from co-captain and quarterback Austin Lommen ’16 to wide receiver Darrias Sime ’16. A 54-yard run by running back Eric Smith ’19 keyed the Ephs’ scoring drive.

Berry ran for 70 of Wesleyan’s 166 rushing yards on the day. The Cardinals notched 166 yards though the air.

Lommen threw for 150 yards and Sorrento ran for his first career 100-yard game, putting up 105 of the Ephs’ 150 rushing yards.

Linebacker James O’Grady ’16 led the Eph defense with eight tackles while Cardinal linebackers Jordan Stone and Jon Spivey were the leading tacklers for the Cardinals with eight tackles each.

The Cardinals now have a three-game win streak against the Ephs.

The team is excited to head into its final bout of the season. “I thought we fought until the last whistle,” Head Coach Aaron Kelton said. “We wanted a better result but made mistakes in key situations that caused us to fall behind. We played better but not good enough to win. I expect that we will play our hearts out this weekend against Amherst.”

This Saturday, Williams will take on arch rival Amherst in Williamstown for its Homecoming game, the final matchup of the men’s season. The game will begin at noon.