Bolton accepts presidency at College of Wooster

November 11, 2015 by Michael Green, News Editor

Yesterday, in an all-campus email, President Adam Falk announced that Dean of the College Sarah Bolton will leave the College to become the next president of the College of Wooster on July 1.

“It is a tremendous honor and pleasure to have this opportunity to serve the College of Wooster,” Bolton said in a press release from the College of Wooster. “Wooster’s superb liberal arts education is founded on the understanding that, with the close mentorship of faculty, every student can create and communicate new knowledge. This unique and enduring commitment makes Wooster a tremendously exciting place to work and learn, and I am thrilled to have the chance to support Wooster’s faculty, staff and students in moving the college forward to even greater strengths in the coming years.”

Bolton first started working at the College as an assistant professor of physics in 1995 and received promotions to associate professor in 2001 and full professor in 2007. From 2007 to 2010, she served as the chair of the physics department. She has served as dean of the College since 2010.

“I feel so incredibly fortunate to be a part of this community,” Bolton said. “I have been both taught and supported here – by staff, students and faculty – more than I could have ever hoped for or imagined.  I’ve been thinking about words that describe the students and colleagues that I’ve had the good fortune to know at Williams;  smart and wise, determined and kind, passionate and compassionate, honest and courageous, remarkable. I am profoundly grateful for everything this community has taught me, and I will miss it deeply.”

“I’ve never seen anyone more devoted to students and their academic and personal growth, safety, and well-being,” Falk said in the email. “I’ve never worked with anyone with a sharper strategic sense for how to advance this critical work. And I’ve never known anyone more capable of empowering students themselves to sustain and improve their own community. Sarah [Bolton] leaves a matchless legacy and a multitude of grateful colleagues and students.”

During her time as a physics professor, Bolton won the College’s Outstanding Mentor Award for Fostering Inclusive Academic Excellence in 2009 and advised 12 senior theses and more than 20 student research projects. Her research made use of laser systems to examine semiconductors.

Bolton earned a bachelor’s degree in physics and biophysics from Brown in 1988, a master’s degree in physics from the University of California at Berkeley in 1991 and a doctorate in physics from UC Berkeley in 1995.

Bolton will succeed S. Georgia Nugent as president of the College of Wooster, who is currently serving in the interim after Grant Cornwall left to become the president of Rollins College.

The dean of the college is filled by faculty on a rotating basis.

“I will work with the Faculty Steering Committee to identify members of our faculty whose experience and interest would make them good candidates to be the next dean of the college,” Falk said. “[Sarah Bolton’s] successor will be announced sometime in the next few months, well before she leaves her post at the end of June.”